Science Lesson #2: Rocks Vs. Minerals

The first science lesson I taught, was used for the purpose of engaging students within this unit. Today I questioned students as a review of last classes engagement activity and then handed out student duotangs which I had pre placed the learning “I can” statements within for the RM4.1 outcome. During the class I had students read aloud the statements and I explained that this is what we are going to be learning about for the next few weeks. I found that this part of my lesson went smoothly, however it was a little bit noisy during the process of handing out each duotang… Is there a way I could have done this more quietly? Perhaps if I were going to do this again (which duotangs will be handed out again in the future) I will explain to students the importance of keeping the volume down and raising their hands when they would like to share a thought or idea with the class.

Due to the fire alarm going off during this science lesson, the above is as far as I got. Tomorrow I will be picking up where I left off and completing the lesson that I had planned to get through today.

_____________________________________________________________________________

During my post conference, I realize that their are lots of things happening within the class that I had not noticed, example being that one student was reading her book that was hidden inside of her desk, instead of reading the “I Can’ statements with the rest of the class. Moving forwards I would like to make it a goal to notice all students and their actions by circulating the room more often while teaching. Comments that my co op teacher left me were incredible as she let me know what I missed for students that weren’t paying attention, but she also let me know that I was very respectful and kind to all students throughout the class time that we had together.

Please see the pdf below for my lesson plan and data recorded.

Lesson Plan

Data Collection