Fake news is real. Fake news can be dangerous. Fake news can be elusive. Fake news is a threat.
Our class worked together to look at various websites to examine the credibility of the sources. Some questions we asked were:
- How neutral is this information provider?
- Is the information provided accurate or biased?
- Where does the funding for this site come from?
- Where does income generated from this site go?
- What could be some of the underlying motivators of this site?
As teachers, we must find age-appropriate ways to educate our students. Increasing our students' digital literacy is a top priority.
The three main takeaways from the video below are:
- Read it
- Check it
Kids benefit from simple and easy to understand steps directions, especially at younger grade levels!
Fake NEWS: How to Equip Your Kids to Tell Fact from Fiction
Protecting Children From Fake News