Guitar Tricks with Eddie

This week I decided to look more into the basics of guitar playing since I didn’t know much about individual notes and the guitar itself. Previously I had just been shown a few chords I was attempting to put together. When I looked for Guitar lesson websites and videos for beginners, I found a website called Guitar Tricks. This website had different chapters for learning guitar, and the first one was called “Getting Familiar with your instrument.”

This chapter had various parts that I watched through. I started by figuring out the names of each string on the guitar. The notes are E, A, D, G, B, and E from top to bottom. The thicker strings are at the top, while the thinner strings are at the bottom. Each string, as you move lower, has a higher pitch.

I remember from learning Piano as a child that when we were looking at notes, there would always be some saying. For example, in Piano, we would say Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, which is the notes on the lines in the treble clef and in the space that spells your FACE, which was for the spaces in the treble clef. This is the same for guitar, and in the videos from Guitar Tricks, I was introduced to Eddie. This saying was Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie. This saying is meant to help you remember the string names on the guitar.

The next thing the videos taught me was how to tune my guitar. Tuning the dials clockwise would make the guitar pitch go higher, and tuning them counterclockwise makes it go higher. While tuning, turning the dial slightly each time is essential to avoid going too sharp or flat. Also, it is better to tune one string at a time, so you don’t mess up. On the video, they recommend tuning to what they were playing, but I know from experience around guitars that there are many other ways to tune a guitar. You can tune to someone else, to a piano, or use an electric tuner. I have an electric tuner that my mom gave me with my guitar.

The last thing the videos taught me was about the guitar frets. The frets themselves go from left to right and are numbered. When playing a note you need to press your finger on the side of the fret right up against it. Pushing down in the middle of the fret is not correct.

One thing they did mention in the videos that I have already figured out pretty well is that your fingers will hurt. Pushing down on the strings will leave marks on your fingers; for me, they hurt for a day or two afterwards. But from the advice of these videos and the people I know who play guitar, you don’t push down as hard as you get better. More skilled guitar players know how badly they need to push down and develop calluses overtime on the tips of their fingers.

4 Replies to “Guitar Tricks with Eddie”

1. Hi Fatih!

I love the saying “Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie” that made me laugh out loud! I used to play the guitar and I can assure you that your fingers start to hurt. But with practice, the pain will be limited. Have you learned any songs recently? I played some songs but I only knew the notes, I was never very good at playing the cords. I can’t wait to hear about your journey!

2. Hey Faith, pretty cool project you’re working on. I thought about trying to learn guitar, as I’d learned the basics of ukulele in one of my EMUS classes, but I thought it seemed a little too overwhelming for me. It takes a lot of practice to ace! It sounds like you have a tuner, but I thought I’d share a neat link for an online tuner tool, it is posted below. I feel like this would work well for students if you ever had to teach them an instrument. Good luck with your project and can’t wait to hear your end result!

https://tuner.ninja/

3. Hi, Faith! I think it is super cool that you are learning guitar for your learning project! I learned how to play a bit of guitar in grade ten, but I never continued learning, so I’m sure I have forgotten most of what I knew. I am learning how to play the ukulele this semester for my learning project. We’ll have to keep up with each other and compare any similarities/differences we find between the instruments! Good luck!

4. Hello Faith,
    I am so proud of you learning guitar for your learning project. In fact, it is something that I have always be passionate for. Like Jordan said, it takes a lot of practice. I am sure you will definitely reach there. Hope to listen to your guitar soon!. Keep trying!