Uncategorized

Discussion Provocation #2

Systemic racism does exist in Canada many white people believe that they are superior over other races because their skin colour. Denying that racism exists will continue inequality. Racial inequality impacts different nationalities that can impact historic oppression and prejudices. A good white person is still racist if they are not doing anything other than being nice.  Racism and race are still an issue in society because people will see diversity and create an opinion on a race only based on the actions of some people in that race. This can have negative affects because it creates people to have prejudice against that race. Police brutality against Black and Indigenous peoples is structural racism. Structural racism is “the totality of ways in which societies foster racial discrimination through mutually reinforcing systems of housing, education, employment, earnings, benefits, credit, media, health care, and criminal justice” (Bailey et al., 2017, p. 1453).

When talking about white privilege normative narrative I feel uncomfortable because I am so uneducated on the subject. But I talk about it with friends and learn about their experiences and how they feel. Even though I feel uncomfortable talking about white privilege and race I put myself into those conversations to help educate myself.  I want to learn and I want to be a good person that does not just sit there and do nothing. I want to do something because this class has taught me how important it is to not be “colour-blind”. I never realized how much privilege I had, I though it was just about the colour of your skin and how much money you have, but it is so beyond that. To build a more decent society, it is important educate students on white privilege and different nationalities.

The “bad apple theory” is a metaphor about people. It is saying that not everyone is racist there are just a few who are or a few bad apples. If we just look for the “bad apples” we begin to fail to see the roles of the apples as a whole. If we just focus on the one white racist it starts to block out our perception of the white dominate structure that is being generated.

• Riley Knoll

Hey Jenna,
    I am totally in the same boat as you. I also am uncomfortable talking about it, and not very educated on the topic. It is important for us to have open conversations about racism with family and friends to deepen the understanding and give us new perspectives. It seems you have a great start, in learning and being an advocate for racism. Keep up the good work!

• Jerico Sampang

“A good white person is still racist if they are not doing anything other than being nice.” What you said right here is the perfect rebuttal to those who are paralyzed by their guilt and choose inaction! I am so glad that you’re able to recognize that inaction is only in favour of the oppressor and not the oppressed. You said that you feel uncomfortable having conversations regarding white privilege, and I want to acknowledge that the feeling is perfectly okay. When we talk about things that make us uncomfortable due to our willful ignorance and feel resistance, it is an opportunity to focus on that contention and find where it stems from. I really hope that you applaud yourself for your ability to recognize that there are things that you don’t know and understand there is more to learn. Keep up the great work, Jenna! We’re all part of the same world and we oughta make it just a little bit more kind.