Do Not Disturb

As much as I wish I could say I don’t use technology that much, I just looked at my phone’s screen time for last week and it was an average of 7 hours and 15 minutes, YIKES! I would like to justify it by saying a lot of my work is done on my phone in the sense that I run my own little crafting business called Mama J’s and most of my orders come through social media messages! However, I can also admit that I will leisurely doom-scroll through Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and SnapChat on the daily as well. I get a lot of creative inspiration from social media whether its for my own home organization, craft ideas, or personal wellbeing. If I’m ever having trouble sleeping, I will open up Pinterest and find all sorts of awesome ideas. For some reason, this puts me to sleep very easily. 

When it comes to staying organized and productive, I use my iPhone calendar to schedule my day and the reminders app that’s built into the phone to make a to do list . I put everything in that calendar and share it with my boyfriend so we’re on the same page of when I work or when we have plan s together. On the calendar app, I have all my assignments in there when they are due and set an alert on them a week before they are due. 

I do find myself getting distracted very easily when it comes to my phone. I try to not, but reality is, I know I can be. There isn’t one platform that distracts me more than the others though. However, I have successfully kept myself away from TikTok unlike a lot of my peers. But every now and then, I will get on there and catch myself scrolling for far too long. 

iPhone Do Not Disturb

When I need to dial in and focus on a task that’s important, such as school assignments or work related duties, I have found the only way I can focus properly is to put my phone in the other room. Sometimes I can get things done if I just put my phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode, which I have found since the newest iPhone update, A LOT of people are using that function more and it truly makes me happy that people are taking time to themselves more and not making themselves so reachable. 

If anyone has any other ideas for ensuring a healthy relationship with techonology, please let me know! 

3 thoughts on “Do Not Disturb

1. Jordyn,

Screen time usage is a real problem for me too! While my phone’s screen time is a few of hours less than yours, I find I’m nowhere near as productive on my phone as you are. Most of my time is spent on social media apps. However, I am in dire need in improving my organization skills and my plan is to start using my calendar and day scheduler more often. While this will increase screen time, this should benefit me in the future. So it’s not ALL bad lol.
    Anyways, my only suggestion would turn on (if you haven’t already) your blue light filter on your phone. I find when I am scrolling on my phone late in bed, this is easier on the eyes, making it easier to fall asleep when you do put the phone down.
    Good job on all you have done this semester!

Zach

2. Hey Jordyn!
    I also find the calendar app on iPhones to be so useful. Another one I like is the notes app as I find it to be quite useful for assignments. I label the days of the week and assign things to do each day to make sure I don’t fall behind and get my work done on time. I also feel it holds me more accountable to finish the homework on the day I wrote.

3. Hello! It’s impressive to see how you’ve integrated technology into your crafting business, and your daily life. Your use of social media for work and creative inspiration, as well as utilizing apps like the calendar and reminders to stay organized, is fantastic. It’s understandable how easy it is to get distracted by social media, but it’s clear that you’ve found ways to manage these distractions, like using the iPhone’s Do Not Disturb mode. Your insight into finding a healthy balance with technology is admirable. Keep up the great work, and here’s to continued success with your crafting business and maintaining a healthy relationship with technology!