TikTok 101: From Curiosity to Creativity

Since its 2017 introduction, TikTok has grown to be a well-liked platform for short-form video production. TikTok offers something for everyone, regardless of interests: dancing challenges, comedic skits, instructional content, and do-it-yourself lessons. With just a few touches, users can easily produce and share films thanks to the app’s user-friendly layout.

Now, if you’re anything like me, you may be a little reluctant to use TikTok at first, particularly if you weren’t raised with it (anyone remember Vine?!). But do not worry! TikTok is surprisingly user-friendly, and with a little help, you can quickly start making your own videos. Thankfully, when I ran into trouble and had any questions, I was able to just ask some of my younger friends to help me out! 

Basic Instructions and Tips
  • Make Your Own Video: To begin creating, tap the “+” button located at the bottom of the screen. To improve your video, you can select from a wide range of effects, filters, and soundtracks.
  • Include captions and hashtags: To make your movies more visible, include relevant hashtags in the captions and include any necessary instructions or context.
  • Interact with Others: Establish connections with the TikTok community by like, commenting on, and sharing other users’ videos.
step 1: click the + icon at the bottom of your screen to create your own TikTok
step 2: upload media from your phone or take live photos
step 3: this is when you would select your media! apparently it maxes at 35 items!
step 4: add special effects such as fonts, filters, stickers, music, etc!
step 5: create a caption that describes what your video is about (if you want) and hit post for all to see!
How TikTok Can Be Used in the Classroom

Let’s now discuss how TikTok can be used in the classroom in accordance with the various SAMR model levels:

• Substitution: TikTok can take the role of more conventional information-presentation techniques, such textual reports and presentations, at the substitution level. As a creative substitute for written tasks, students might make quick instructional videos to show that they grasp a subject.
    • Augmentation: TikTok augments learning sessions with interactive components including text overlays, music, and visual effects. TikTok is a tool that teachers may utilize to engage pupils with multimedia content, which will make learning more dynamic and interesting.
    • Modification: By enabling students to work together on video projects, share their work with a larger audience, and get immediate feedback from peers and teachers, TikTok can be utilized to change learning experiences at the modification level.
    • Redefinition: Learning is redefined by TikTok, which gives students the ability to produce and distribute creative content that adds to wider dialogues and communities. TikTok can be used by educators to provide real-world learning opportunities that encourage students to express their creativity and think outside the box.
Documenting Progress in Your Learning Project

I used TikTok to record my DIY project progress for this blog article. See how I turned a sweater into a stylish mama sweater using the buyer’s own baby onesies by watching the video below!

@jordyn.e.osborne

babe’s first outfit —> an eternal sweater 🥹 #embroidery #diy #mamajs

♬ counting stars – audiosqv

In summary, TikTok is a useful resource for creativity and education in addition to being a platform for enjoyment. Teachers can use TikTok’s capabilities to engage students, improve learning outcomes, and encourage digital literacy skills by integrating the app into the classroom. So why not attempt TikTok? Who knows, maybe making and sharing videos becomes your new love!

Happy stitching!