Fear vs. Empowerment

Scare tactics were a common way to teaching cyber safety and digital citizenship during my own schooling. The risks that exist on the internet, such as cyberbullying, online predators, and the possible repercussions of disclosing too much personal information online, are often brought up by educators and teachers. Guest lecturers or internet sources will relate fearful stories of people who were harmed by cyberbullying or fell into Internet scams.A young boy using social media or gaming on a cellphone or mobile phone. Online safety. A mix of emotions and mayhem surrounds the child. Social media addiction and manipulation..I found this method to be a little overwhelming and anxiety-inducing, even while its goal was to increase awareness of the threats connected to the digital world. I frequently felt scared and unsure about how to protect myself online, rather than empowered to use the internet safely. Sometimes, the focus on the worst-case situations obscured the useful tips for remaining secure online.Internet network security concept with person using a laptop computer

In my future classroom, I want to teach digital citizenship with a more well-rounded approach. In my opinion, equipping children with the information and abilities necessary to safely and responsibly navigate the digital environment is just as vital as educating them about potential risks. My goal is to establish a welcoming and inclusive classroom where kids are at ease talking about their worries and asking questions regarding online safety. By encouraging candid communication and offering helpful advice, I want to give my students the skills they need to make wise decisions online while reducing their level of fear and worry.

Here’s how I might approach teaching the 9 elements of digital citizenship:

Digital access

• The fair application of technology and the internet. Remember the people in your community who might or might not be able to access and provide options. Talk about how important it is to close the digital divide and offer assistance to people who might not have access at home.

Digital commerce

• The online marketplace for purchasing and selling goods, as well as the precautions to take. Instruct students on safe online purchasing techniques, such as how to recognize secure websites and safeguard their personal financial data.

Digital communication and Collaboration 

• Communicating and using your voice effectively. Encourage learners to behave responsibly and with respect when interacting online. Encourage teamwork and communication skills by offering possibilities for cooperative digital projects.

Digital etiquette 

• This refers to acting morally by considering others, both in the real world and online. Talk about how important it is to treat others with kindness, respect, and awareness of their feelings in both online and offline interactions. Set a good example for others to follow when they go online and deal with cyberbullying right away. 

Digital fluency

• Media literacy and technological comprehension. Use this to detect out fake news! Instruct students in the critical assessment of internet content, the differentiation of trustworthy from untrustworthy sources, and the detection of any biases or disinformation.

Digital health and welfare

• During safe consumption periods, maintain both physical and mental well-being when using the internet. Encourage digital wellness by talking about how important it is to balance screen time, how to have a positive relationship with technology, and how to see the warning signs of cyberbullying and digital addiction.

Digital law

• It is your duty to abide by the laws of the digital world.  Teach students about their rights and duties when using the internet, including copyright regulations, plagiarism, and the repercussions of engaging in criminal activity.  

Digital rights and responsibility 

• When you are given the chance to use the internet, these are your rights and obligations. safeguarding others and oneself both offline and online. Encourage students to take a stand for digital privacy and security by teaching them about their rights. Talk about the moral ramifications of disclosing private information online and the significance of safeguarding one’s online identity.  

Digital security and privacy 

• This is the medication that keeps your computer safe. Keeping your gadgets secure and healthy will help prevent you from contracting a virus. Educate students on how to protect their private data, make secure passwords, and identify typical internet dangers like malware and phishing scams.  

Students can get the skills, knowledge, and mindsets necessary to navigate the digital world in a responsible and safe manner by including these components into the curriculum and encouraging a culture of digital citizenship in the classroom.