Learning from place, week 5

I think the idea of this piece of writing was fairly simple. Students learn more, connect more, engage more through experience versus sitting in a desk listening to a lecture or writing generic notes from a textbook. Regardless of our culture I think it is important to think outside of the box and get in touch with everything around you. This is crucial in upbringing an awareness and appreciation for everything that surrounds us. This also encourages students to observe then in future, preserve their surroundings. Maybe if there is a significant story behind a lake said students swim in they are more likely to take care of it. Maybe if there is a tale about some trees in a certain wooded area, said students would be more likely to respect it. All in all I think it is about getting in touch with what you know as well as get to know yourselves.

I also think this article ignites a “fire” in the minds of all educators. How can we adjust lesson plans and activities to better accommodate the culture surrounding us? Can we make our lessons tailored to the culture of our class? Perhaps……

About mam267

University of Regina student currently studying from a distance in Weyburn, SK. Born and raised in Saskatchewan and proud to say I have been blessed with the values of the prairies. A passion for equality, kindness and helping others. As a mother, family member and community individual I strive to make everyone feel equal, appreciated and important to our world. My intentions are to successfully become a part of the educational environment which we call schools, and to make a difference while I am there. Each day is a new day to learn and I am here today and many days to come!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.