Response to Levin article & Treaty Ed

Throughout the Levin article it enforces the fact that the government has a large part in the production and distribution of the curriculum. In addition to the government there are also participants such as high tech companies and those we would consider to have “the big bucks”. This really came as no surprise to me as many things in the world operate on the same level. Those who have the money have the say, those who don’t have money don’t have a say, well not as much of a say anyways. I feel this has been an issue since the beginning of time and can be summed up by saying that money means power and it most likely will remain that way for years to come. 

I believe it is our duty as contributing citizens (specifically teachers) to speak up in terms of what we would like to see in schools, particularly the curriculum however we must do so with caution. We must be aware of policies and politics. We are free to do said “speaking up” but one must be prepared for an outcome that we do not necessarily appreciate, or no outcome at all (as if you haven’t even been heard). I just recently accepted that my voice may be loud but sometimes that means I need to speak even louder. 

Overall I do feel a great sense of concern when exploring the curriculum only to see the style has not changed much over the years to accommodate our expanding communities. However this lights a “fire” beneath me as a teacher. I am more than the curriculum and despite the challenges it may pose I will prevail. My awareness of the policies and politics will only lead me to be creative in the delivery of my lessons and the content they hold. 

Next was the reading of the Treaty Education document. I struggled with this. I think my perception at this very moment is disjointed due to some recent experiences that I have had involving education on reservations. The document states that the education system is committed to providing supports but I do not believe yet that they know what fulfilling this commitment means. Instead of being bitter I have chosen to move forward with hopes that this document enforces some follow through and accountability on the side of those who have produced it.

I am sure there were a variety of conflicting thoughts and opinions when putting this document together however I think the end product specifically the outcomes, were well written and attainable through wholesome treaty education and experiences. One main conflict they may have had would be in regards to the language used. It was admirable to see a statement such as “…..promises made generations ago.”. These words showed the act of admitting white people were wrong and this may have been a challenge to discuss in the production of this document. The process as a whole would have been challenging as when white people and indigenous people work together there is still that underlying tension no matter what reconciliation has taken place. This is natural and I am glad we have facilitators who are willing to respectfully work through it.

About mam267

University of Regina student currently studying from a distance in Weyburn, SK. Born and raised in Saskatchewan and proud to say I have been blessed with the values of the prairies. A passion for equality, kindness and helping others. As a mother, family member and community individual I strive to make everyone feel equal, appreciated and important to our world. My intentions are to successfully become a part of the educational environment which we call schools, and to make a difference while I am there. Each day is a new day to learn and I am here today and many days to come!
This entry was posted in ECS 210. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Response to Levin article & Treaty Ed

1. Michael Campbell says:

Hello,

I found the part of your blog post where you wrote “believe it is our duty as contributing citizens (specifically teachers) to speak up in terms of what we would like to see in schools, particularly the curriculum however we must do so with caution.” very interesting as it certainly is difficult within the context of education to try to promote social justice and causes without being overtly demanding or necessarily taking what can be seen as an “extreme” stance. The cautious route is definitely important, and is exemplified through structural procedures, i.e. we need to be on the same page as our administration and the union into what can be considered as acceptable.
    On the other hand, being cautious does not mean backing away from difficult topics and situations that are part of our reality. In order to promote education as a tool for social change there needs to a balance between taking risks and being cautious.
    Finally, I really like your point that there is still underlying tension within the context of curriculum procedures in attempts to promote reconciliation. I agree that the tension will always be there, but it is part of what makes it so important!

Keep up the good work.

Mike

2. seyran says:

Hey there,
    Yes, I totally agree with you that teachers definitely have a duty to speak up with what we would like to see different in schools and curriculum but my question for you is how can we be cautious in doing so exactly? I think that if someone is very serious and passionate about a change, then in order to accomplish it special measure should be taken and even some risks.

3. I want to start a website about paranormal stuff..

4. Thank you for Response to Levin article & Treaty Ed , is verry informative.

ONE Hidden Ingredient Lowers Cholesterol Level Below 100 And Clears Out 93%,
    here: http://bit.ly/drop-your-cholesterol-to-a-healthy-level
    Try it, will help!!! 🙂

5. connor says:

I do agree with how we need to speak up for curriculum changes. With the expanding communities and being multi cultural it is important that we make it inclusive for everyone. My question would be how do you think would be the best way to get the changes needed?