The final post…….

Final Narrative
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Response to Levin article & Treaty Ed

Throughout the Levin article it enforces the fact that the government has a large part in the production and distribution of the curriculum. In addition to the government there are also participants such as high tech companies and those we would consider to have “the big bucks”. This really came as no surprise to me as many things in the world operate on the same level. Those who have the money have the say, those who don’t have money don’t have a say, well not as much of a say anyways. I feel this has been an issue since the beginning of time and can be summed up by saying that money means power and it most likely will remain that way for years to come. 

I believe it is our duty as contributing citizens (specifically teachers) to speak up in terms of what we would like to see in schools, particularly the curriculum however we must do so with caution. We must be aware of policies and politics. We are free to do said “speaking up” but one must be prepared for an outcome that we do not necessarily appreciate, or no outcome at all (as if you haven’t even been heard). I just recently accepted that my voice may be loud but sometimes that means I need to speak even louder. 

Overall I do feel a great sense of concern when exploring the curriculum only to see the style has not changed much over the years to accommodate our expanding communities. However this lights a “fire” beneath me as a teacher. I am more than the curriculum and despite the challenges it may pose I will prevail. My awareness of the policies and politics will only lead me to be creative in the delivery of my lessons and the content they hold. 

Next was the reading of the Treaty Education document. I struggled with this. I think my perception at this very moment is disjointed due to some recent experiences that I have had involving education on reservations. The document states that the education system is committed to providing supports but I do not believe yet that they know what fulfilling this commitment means. Instead of being bitter I have chosen to move forward with hopes that this document enforces some follow through and accountability on the side of those who have produced it.

I am sure there were a variety of conflicting thoughts and opinions when putting this document together however I think the end product specifically the outcomes, were well written and attainable through wholesome treaty education and experiences. One main conflict they may have had would be in regards to the language used. It was admirable to see a statement such as “…..promises made generations ago.”. These words showed the act of admitting white people were wrong and this may have been a challenge to discuss in the production of this document. The process as a whole would have been challenging as when white people and indigenous people work together there is still that underlying tension no matter what reconciliation has taken place. This is natural and I am glad we have facilitators who are willing to respectfully work through it.

Posted in ECS 210 | 5 Comments

Learning from place, week 5

I think the idea of this piece of writing was fairly simple. Students learn more, connect more, engage more through experience versus sitting in a desk listening to a lecture or writing generic notes from a textbook. Regardless of our culture I think it is important to think outside of the box and get in touch with everything around you. This is crucial in upbringing an awareness and appreciation for everything that surrounds us. This also encourages students to observe then in future, preserve their surroundings. Maybe if there is a significant story behind a lake said students swim in they are more likely to take care of it. Maybe if there is a tale about some trees in a certain wooded area, said students would be more likely to respect it. All in all I think it is about getting in touch with what you know as well as get to know yourselves.

I also think this article ignites a “fire” in the minds of all educators. How can we adjust lesson plans and activities to better accommodate the culture surrounding us? Can we make our lessons tailored to the culture of our class? Perhaps……

Week 4 learning through crisis

What does it mean to be a good student? A good student does not disrupt others in the classroom, they most likely participate willingly in classroom activities, they are simply implicitly obedient. A good student would produce good grades on standardized tests and be able to attend school without restrictions.

Students privileged by the above definition are mainly white, middle/upper class individuals. Individuals who are not affected by poverty, hunger and racism. Individuals who would be considered “normal”.

After reading the assigned pieces I have come to the conclusion that it is COMFORTABLE to say that some of the ways we teach and are taught to teach, are oppressive in themselves. Mainstream society places a noticeable amount of value upon preferred behaviors, knowledge and skills, leaving others outside of this “circle” deemed disadvantaged or problematic. Going forward, it is our duty to challenge/ disrupt this narrative by engaging in a way that not only highlights but challenges oppression.

“The insistence on meeting standards and complying with what some in society have defined as common sense.”- this statement said a lot to me. It highlighted how challenging it can be for teachers to challenge oppression, not because they do not want to but because there are always pressures (political, from managerial staff etc.). What if I say the wrong thing at the wrong time? What if I make a student uncomfortable? If a teacher has the knowledge I believe without hesitation they should proceed with challenging oppression. In the same breath I support those still working on moving forward despite many of the political challenges within a classroom.

Posted in ECS 210, Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Assignment One

Hip Hop and The Curriculum, this is the topic I am pursuing for the first assignment. I chose this topic because it seemed like something I know about but I have never formally looked into before. I am aware music has huge influence over the classroom and I happen to like hip hop therefor I shall seek further information into this subject. My main text that I will be working with is titled “Deal with it, We Must”. This title in itself sets a tone for how and what I will be writing.

My plan is to highlight the importance of self expression through music and the importance of awareness when it comes to approaching certain types of music. Hip hop unfortunately comes with a lot of negative energy due to its sometimes explicit language however we must face it in respect of our students. We will never gain control over what students choose to engage in entertainment wise so deal with it, we must.

Posted in ECS 210, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Writing the Self Analysis: Race, Racism& “Whiteness”

Writing the Self Analysis-àRE: Race& Racism, “Whiteness” & Common Rebuttals

1. Almost with a sense of relief I found commonalities between my own story, Robyn’s and Averie’s stories when speaking about race, racism and “whiteness”.  It was obvious amongst our words that when first approaching further knowledge regarding racism one naturally feels a sense of defensiveness. When discussing topics such as white privilege, white fragility and concerns regarding race we admittedly stated a feeling of uncomfortableness and vulnerability. Fortunately, this unusual feeling has brought on the realization that we must be willing to break the normal narratives surrounding race in Canada. As a community we must be willing to engage in conversation that points out the obvious issues surrounding race in our country.

There are a few normative narratives mentioned within the above-mentioned blog posts (Robyn, Avery& Myself). “White equals innocence” (Robyn’s blog). This normative narrative was easy to understand as we unfortunately see many discrepancies within the justice system in Canada based on race and more unfortunately racism. Robyn gave an example of mistaken identity simply based on an indigenous person versus a white person, in this case the indigenous person was innocent however was arrested before the white person. I can relate closely to this situation as I have experienced it first hand as well. I called the police regarding a fight on the road in front of the shelter I am employed with. While waiting for police outside I was accompanied by one of the male youths from the shelter, he was Indigenous. When the police arrived, the first person they went to detain was the youth I was with, not the women fighting across the street. I believe strongly this was because of his race and overall appearance (tall, muscular, multiple tattoos).

Another common normative narrative was that “…race is a thing that happens to everyone else”. This meaning white people are often oblivious to race related issues. White people often voice a variety of common rebuttals. Rebuttals such as “I treat everyone equally!” or “It’s what I have been taught since birth!” and “Why can’t we all just be human? Isn’t it this focus on race that divides us?” (P.146- “Is Everyone Really Equal?). As learning, growing adults we are realizing more now than ever that statements like these are becoming unacceptable. We have access to education and knowledge to be aware of issues and inequalities regarding race. If we do not necessarily have direct access to this educational material it is up to students alike ourselves to speak up and participate in those conversations that may make you feel vulnerable or uncomfortable.

1. normative narrative that white equals innocence is disrupted on a daily basis. White people are just as involved as any other race when it comes to crimes being committed. There are a variety of mentioned stereotypes that come along with minority populations when crime is reported. Comments such as “…just another drunk native” or “….oh well, they deserve to be in jail” made when specifically talking about the Indigenous population. To further disrupt these notions one may mention the tragic “star light tours”.

“On Jan. 28, 2000, two police officers drove Darrell Night five kilometres outside of Saskatoon and abandoned him in -22° C weather with just a T-shirt and jean jacket on his back. The incident was part of a series of “starlight tours,” a practice in which officers were said to have picked up drunk or rowdy people like Night, at night, and dropped them off in the dead of winter. At least three Indigenous people in Saskatoon are suspected to have died this way, beginning with 17-year-old Neil Stonechild in 1990.” (Megan Campbell-Macleans Magazine)

Incidents alike the tragedy of star light tours so close to home show the reality of the inequalities within our country. It is unbelievable for many people to comprehend the betrayal of our law system that was constructed to protect us all equally.  These negative events highlight the injustices that occurred long ago but still remind us that they still happen today. With this knowledge one must have hope that as a community we will recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of our country and strive to be better. Better as in diverse, inclusive and accepting.

Resources:

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/new-light-on-saskatoons-starlight-tours/

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Self Story 4: Just another day….

With the raw taste of a Tim Horton’s decaf on my breath I began to breath a bit heavier. The air smelling sterile with a hint of nerves and coffee. I grew self conscious. Can the nurse smell my breath? I’m not ready. This isn’t how the day was supposed to pan out. Can the doctors tell I’m not ready? Do they know I am alone?

As I experienced a pain only comparable to stubbing a thousand toes, walking over a million coals or sitting on a billion thumb tacks, I was surprisingly still alive. How could it be possible? The nurse kept asking me; do you feel any pain? Luckily with every monitor beep I could hear in the distance I was able to remain calm and not succumb to the pain I was feeling. Softly I would tell her I was O.K. She would make conversation, I would nod or moan, hoping she would eventually stop talking soon so I could resume my nap.

Coffee in hand I walked into my doctors office, routine check up. The doctor did just that, she checked me out. She then gave me some papers and told me to head to the hospital, I assumed for more routine work such as an ultra sound or some bloodwork. I hopped in my car and headed into the heavily trafficked health center, the dreaded hospital. Amongst a crowd of people a receptionist in vibrant scrubs singled me out. She looked at me and exclaimed I was in labor. News to me? I did not argue as I was just happy to have avoided the line and being 7 month pregnant, even happier to be off of my feet that much sooner than expected. Why the urgency? Turns out I was in extreme hypertension and my blood sugar levels were toxic. The doctors intentions to avoid alarm hence her shortage of words. Her assumption incorrect that I had a family member or partner waiting to take me to the hospital in their waiting room when she had sent me away. She was wrong.

The night went on. The beeps continued to chime through the darkness and pain. I was no longer alone. I had my mother at my side. She was all I had ever needed. The nurse kept asking me if I was ready, I wasn’t ready. I couldn’t do it. I was in too much pain. I wanted it all to end, the sickness, pain, emotions. Before I knew it, it was over. I did it. I gave birth. I performed my gender and survived child birth and quite well to say the least. I did it.

I made it through child birth and it was just another day.

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Self Story #3: Same but different

Growing up I experienced mild bullying and I feel as though this stemmed specifically because of my perceived “class”. It was often mentioned or made fun of that my family and I were the only house in the whole neighborhood of low income rental units. This banter was never obvious to me until I got older and began to realize some differences myself. From when I can remember until approximately age ten I felt there was never any difference between my friends/ neighbors and I. We all had fun playing at each other’s homes, backyards and at the school park down the block. As I got a bit older I would realize we were indeed a bit different. My parents were the only parents on the street that were still married. My friends would mention this often and they would even ask me things like “do they ever fight?” and “how are they still together?”. I would just giggle and sluff it off. I had a certain friend whose parent would always encourage us to have sleepovers on the weekend and all weekend long. We thought this was awesome. However this parent needed that friend to stay at our house so they could go work 2 out of 4 jobs but was too ashamed to say so to my parents even though they were aware. Sometimes I was confused when my friends parents wouldn’t allow seconds at their dinner table when I would stay for supper, there were no seconds left. Little occurrences like this made me realize that money really does separate us in many ways but only if we let it. Once I became more aware and currently as I grow I become more grateful for everything I have and realize less is sometimes more. I only hope we grow as a community to live without boundaries some times set in place based on the class we are indirectly placed into.

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Treaties& Identity: Opening of Mind& Eyes

I must make an admission before continuing on in this conversation. I will admit that majority of my knowledge in regards to treaties and the importance of identity is minimal. Perhaps even incorrect at this point. Some may perceive that as naïve or selfish however I am still learning and I will continue to do so with courage. I will also admit I am a member of society who has experienced being socialized into racialized points of view and am guilty of not inquiring further into statements made out of presumption or prejudice. Prior to the exploration of the topic “Treaties and Identity” I fell into the category of society where it is easiest to keep quiet about topics that may be considered “taboo”, “provocative”, “controversial” and etc… As you begin to engage and educate yourself further past the basic historic information you have been taught in the school system for years, your mind and soul begin to expand. You are not responsible to solve the world’s problems however we are all treaty people and this means we are equal. To be equal this involves the way we treat one another, how we learn and how we live aside one another in the community. To move forward we must admit to guilt in the past and ensure truth in our history. When we say we are “Treaty People” we are committing to the healing and reconstruction of a damaged society due to past mistakes made. As I did above, I admitted to being guilty. As a Canadian and treaty person I believe we must also admit that we as white people did benefit from the systems of oppression and inequality. The moment I admitted out loud to being what would be considered a privileged individual was the same moment I felt a connection I did not have prior to the inquisition of the improvement with our relationship with ALL people in Canada. We have the power to participate in making others feel equal, welcome and empowered to show their identity regardless of what that may be. “Each of us must let go of the racial understandings that we have been holding onto in order to move forward” (Pg. 3 ” Beginning Courageous Conversations about Race”- Glenn E. Singleton& Cyndie Hayes).

Before initiating this post I felt as though I was at a stand still or even a wall when responding to topics that made me feel uncomfortable or nervous due to their sensitivity. After completing the assigned readings as well as a few informative videos I was able to get better in touch with the importance of recognizing our culture and where we originated and who took part in the shaping of the world we graciously live in today.

Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments

Self Story #2: Recognition

As I grow older my appreciation for my family has only grown stronger. I hope to pass on the family values I was blessed to experience for generations to come. Equality. It was never a lesson we were taught but something we knew simply by the demonstration of our parents and elders. We were to treat everyone equally. Why wouldn’t we? Some may say I was naïve or sheltered as a child but I appreciate the indirect lessons I learnt through the way my parents treated others and how others treated them. I was never made aware of things like racism or prejudice until I was made aware in an educational setting. Being unaware prior to school does not mean I had never interacted with people of color, it just meant that I was not aware that some people behave differently towards people of color or act a certain way when they are around. People of color have always been a part of my family. As my late grand father was a park warden my mom and their family moved all around the USA and eventually Canada. After receiving a relocation assignment my mom and her family moved across Lake Erie, Canada to Sandusky, Ohio. This is where my mom’s two sisters met their now husbands who are of color, African American. My uncles whom originate from the states have always been present in my life as well as my cousins and other relatives who are located across the border. They aren’t my black relatives or my African American family, they have always just been my family, no mention of color. As time goes on and people grow and their wealth of knowledge increases so do the unfortunate realizations of reality. I first became aware of the color of my skin versus the color of my African American family’s skin when we went on a family vacation which required travel by airplane. It was when we were in the airport I was quick to notice the drastic difference in the attitudes of the border security agents when talking to my white family members versus my black family members. I felt the security agents treated my uncle with blatant disrespect. They rifled through his suitcase as if he was most definitely hiding something. Then he was escorted into a private room for further inspection and questioning, all the while the rest of our family waited for several hours until his release. This similar situation would happen again and again while travelling as a mixed race family. Accusations of harboring a fugitive, fleeing the country, and possession of drugs and or illegal material all amongst the cruel comments made towards my family of color while travelling. As unfortunate as the obvious inequality may be I am lucky to say that these events have never damaged the spirit of the family involved. Our strong family values have kept us together and transparent through times of prejudice and assumptions based upon race. We are all family!

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment