Press "Enter" to skip to content

Orange Shirt Day

Orange Shirt Day was designed to educate people and promote awareness about the First Nation Residential school system. As a future teacher I believe this is important to teach students because this event is communities coming together in a spirit of reconciliation and hope showing that every child matters. EVERY CHILD MATTERS !!

As we began Journey to Reconciliation, our class was to view the documentary ‘Muffins for Granny.’ This is an incredibly sad documentary about Canadian government residential school programs. My knowledge and interest of Canadian Residential Schools has grown since watching this raw and honest documentary and I highly recommend all teachers taking the time to view it! https://media3.criterionpic.com/htbin/wwform/006/wwk770?t=MON1671

Journey To Reconciliation : This assignment was designed to honour the diversity within our learning community and recognize diverse background knowledge, life experiences and personal and professional interests. This assignment honours multiple pathways to learning and multiple choices for representation. As adult learners, who know what you know, what you don’t know, what you resist learning about and what you need to learn more about. You come with gifts and strengths and an understanding of how you learn with preferred ways to “show what you know”.

For my visual representation, I did an ‘I am’ poem. By using the ‘I am’ poem, it allowed me to compare who I am and who indigenous people my age are, as well as how our lives are different with some similarities. Instead of making others ‘like us’ we should be open to learning from them. I recognize that everyone has struggles, they are all different so that we can learn from each other. My second poem is perspective from Indigenous because I want to recognize and learn how our lives are the same as well as they are different. None of us but the Indigenous individuals have a right to be on this land, we tricked the natives by bullying them until the treaties were signed eventually returning some land as their own. We weren’t the first people on this land, the negativity in schools has taken away from their culture because kids on the reserve don’t know how to be proper children. With white privilege being such a focused topic on our day to day lives I was very touched by the emotions behind this assignment and excited to put together this poem based on learning and discovery. 

‘I am Poem’ : Poem about White Privilege & Indigenous People 

I am Elizabeth Hartman , You are First Nation

I identify as German, French, and Canadian , You identify as an Indigenous Person

I struggle with a learning disability and am often stereotyped because of it , You struggle with the privileges white people are given

I notice my unearned privileges , You notice privileges white people are given

I dream to be a future teacher so I can make a difference , You dream of future teachers teaching students about privileges

I wonder about my influence on my students’ future , You wonder what path you will have to take in the future

I understand everyone has different struggles while being hard working and dedicated to my students , You understand the struggles while being hard working and dedicated to your culture 

I reflect on my past memories with teachers , You reflect on your people’s stories from your cultures past 

I have a future full of challenges and adventures , You have a future full of experiences that can teach others 

I feel excited about the future teaching children about different cultures , You feel excited about the future youth learning and accepting your culture

I am aware that I am responsible for my choices , You are aware that you are responsible for your choices 

I want to make a difference in my students’ lives , You want to be recognized and respected for where you came from

I touch the lives of students , You touch the lives of Canadians 

I believe we all should have a spot on this land , You believe the land that provides us with life is sacred land 

I think everyone deserves to be treated equally , You think people do not care about Mother Earth

I will be a lifelong learner starting today , You will stand up for what you believe in, continuing to teach Canadians about your people

I hope to be successful in teaching students – everyone deserves to be treated equally , You hope everyone starts to get treated equally

I want to honour other cultures and educators , You want everyone to know what is true and to reconcile with those who have hurt you 

I try to balance peace around the world , You try to help fight for your people – who just want the same privileges as everyone else