Mapping Introduction

My name is Nicole McCracken (formerly Thulien). I currently live in Ogema, SK, a small town south of Regina.

As a child who grew up on a farm outside of a tiny Albertan village called Veteran, I never had any idea that my home would one day be in Southern Saskatchewan. Although a question I have had to tackle a lot throughout my life is “where is home?”

Home is the farm I spent the beginning of my childhood. Where I could handfeed cows, catch frogs and hear crickets at night. Where I could run, scream, laugh, and sing without worry of people watching me.

Beside my “first home” was another place I like to call home. If I walked through the patch of trees beside our house on the farm, out on the other side was a family camp built on a farmer’s field. My ancestors (the Thulien’s) long ago had started a family camp in their field to help bring people together for one week each summer. What started back in 1930, has now been running for approximately 90 years. Children laughing and playing, teenagers building friendships, adults visiting and elders sharing their stories and wisdom.

My “home away from home” was my friend Katie’s house. I grew up visiting her constantly and only when she wasn’t already visiting our “home.” She was my friend who I did everything, sports, youth group, church, and even our first two years of college. Some of my greatest memories involve their swimming pool that we would enjoy in the hot weather, but only after time was spent tanning first according to Katie’s wishes.

My “second home” was a small farm that we bought and put a new house on. I was so excited to look at the highway to see our house slowly making its way down the driveway on a big truck to be placed on its new spot. Although the house has since been removed (which is another story for another time), the farm will always hold a special place in my heart.

My next short term “home” was at Eston College in Eston, SK. Shortly put, some of my closest friends and the one who would later become my husband I met at this place. My parent’s, as well as my grandparents met and got married because of meeting at Eston College. This place is what allowed me to exist.

After Eston, my next “home” was in Lethbridge. This is where I was challenged to grow up and learn how to survive on my own.

Lastly, I now currently find my “home” in Ogema, SK with my husband. Known for its summer train station tours and Italian pizza place (Solo Italia), the community is filled with smiling and friendly faces.

Although I once thought that Veteran would always be my “home,” I grew to learn that a house is not what makes a “home,” but instead a home is where you and the people that you love are.