Week 2.

The second day at the Imperial school was a very fun one for myself and definitely the whole class. Mrs. Pradinuk invited a woman named Mrs. Chow to teach the kids how to make clay sculptures and also educate them on how clay figures dishes pots and other things are made. the sculptures that we focused on today were of polar bears, some students also gave them snowballs, toques, and scarfs. I really liked seeing her interact with the students she was so animated with her movements when describing what to do it really helped the students learn! after that, we went onto math where the kids were still learning about patterns but different types and how they could occur. I really enjoyed the hands-on interactive aspect of bringing in a member of the community to teach the children how to follow instructions while being able to be creative. I’m very glad that Mrs.Pradinuk created this connection, she definitely cares a lot about having community interaction with her classroom.

I took some time before class to really focus on the school and even managed to talk to a parent of a student in my class. To start, the school environment-as said in my last post- is a very inviting place and has displayed images of first nation peoples’ culture and awareness throughout the school. But upon a more thorough look through the school, I couldn’t find many other areas of diversity (other than photos of staff and students ) I do wish there were some more ways to display the variety and diversity of culture that is in Canada and more specifically Regina. I understand that things take time and not every place can be perfect, and perhaps there were things that I didn’t see. Hopefully, when I have my own classroom, I can have some kind of wall devoted to everyone’s culture/ nationality. Onto the parent that I met, he seemed to be very involved in many of the events that are happening in the school such as sports, freezie sale day, and field trips. Based on what he said many other parents try their best to support the school in different ways, but he didn’t give many details.

The website has lots of different sources for parents to access to find information on, Academics Athletics, Arts, Band, Community, Division, Events, Library and many others such as classroom supplies, calendar. Etc

Very excited for the next day and I hope everyone else has a good week!