November 24

“The story of stuff”

This was a fun little animated video that explained the life span of different products, it follows their creation, their transportation, the use and then their disposal, its interesting because it also talks about how people think something is obsolete when there is a new version or colour introduced. This definitely makes me think of phones. every two years I get a new phone because I am told by my contract that my phone is outdated and its time for an upgrade, when in actuality my phone works fine and I don’t really need the new minimum features 

I think this video is good for all ages and really should be something that everyone has watched. it would also be fun to do a little assignment about a product that we have, look into the process behind its manufacturing, and see why we may dispose of it even if it’s in working condition

It’s a resource that make someone more aware of their habits and their impact on the planet, many people will throw something out and then it will be gone from their mind, but after watching this I always think about where my garbage is going.

“Citizenship in maple nation”

It’s a short story that talks about a small community of first nations people and their strong connection to the maple trees that surround them, they talk about the importance of preserving the forests as well as how much the trees give to the world and how important they are to protect them and care for them.

I feel like it does a good job of making students understand the importance of nature and how much they help us survive. so for younger grades, it would be good to focus on that. for older grades, you could look at the more political side of trying to preserve this land and how big corporations are often to blame for these places being cut and destroyed.

Depending on the class I would like to make this a more personal activity. I would have the student pick out someplace that is important to them and talk about all the ways it can supply themself with food, air clothing etc. and how it supplies other creatures such as birds, bugs, small mammals, etc. this will help my students understand more about how nature connects to different aspects of our life and the lives or other living creatures.

I was unable to do both readings this week since I have many finals coming up but I did read some of the people of the seventh fire, its interesting to see their connection to fire, its a sort of tradition and cultural activity, its more than just making fire and has deep spiritual connection to them and the land