Week 5

This week was a lot better than the ones before. one student with ADHD seemed to have been very well behaved. he was very calm and quiet and did all of his assignments. It seemed like this was a rare occurrence but he is going to new medication so hopefully next time I see him things will be going good. 

So for this week I kept looking for other ways that the school in the classroom was diverse. One of the things that I noticed throughout all the classrooms was the inclusion of a gay pride flag it was a minor detail but one that really made me happy to see that being represented in the class. Apart from just the flags I also noticed many children’s books with same-gender parents one Dad one mom different ethnicities Etc. It is very important to have many different types of families displayed in these children’s stories to help solidify that not every family looks the same.

Diversity is very hard to spot unless you look at the small details. But one thing that I did notice is that most of the faculty seems to be Caucasian this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it was something I noticed. The students, on the other hand, seem to be from many different places about 50% are from Regina while the others range from places like China and India

When I asked the teacher about how she shows diversity in the class she said is very important to have lots of books and lessons based on other ethnicities and to always look for opportunities such as grants that will give money in support of getting books and events that support ethnicity and sexual orientation. I think since the students are so young they don’t really realize this kind of idea of diversity it just is a normal everyday feeling for them but for me seeing everything really makes me happy and I hope my classroom will be just as diverse.