Community Service

“The happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.”

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Inside the Box

I previously held the role of Fundraising Coordinator for a local mental health non-profit organization called Inside the Box. The organization was started by Paige Hamann, a friend of mine that I met through a university education class. Inside the Box’s initiative aims to advocate for mental health in athletics. Their mission is to support athletes and coaches who are affected by mental illness through conducting research, developing training programs, and providing education on how to prioritize one’s mental health as an athlete. As the fundraising coordinater, I helped organize multiple events for the initiative, including a spikeball tournement.

Girl Guides

Girl Guides of Canada is by far the community service activity closest to my heart. I have been a member of Girl Guides almost my entire life, since the age of six. Girl Guides has played a highly important role in my own personal identity. Throughout my childhood and early teenage years, the program helped me branch out and empowered me to become the confident woman I am today. I began volunteering as a Girl Guide leader for an Ember unit in 2016. As an Ember leader, I work with girls between the ages of seven and eight on a weekly basis. My duties as a leader include planning and facilitating activities, supervising the girls, communicating with my fellow leaders, and organizing outings within our community.

Being a Girl Guide leader brings me an unexplainable amount of joy and fulfillment. I absolutely love the kids I work with; they never fail to bring a smile to my face. I act as a positive role model for these girls, which is incredibly important to me. I do my best every week to demonstrate love and acceptance by complimenting the girls, congratulating them on their successes, and taking the time to listen to them when they are upset. Girl Guides is something I am truly passionate about. Being a Girl Guide leader is a major commitment; I volunteer close to 100 hours a year. However, every second is worth it to me. I know that I am providing these young girls with a safe space, lasting friendships, practical life skills, and the opportunity to explore. Most importantly, I am helping to empower them to become whoever they dream to be.

A sweet note I received from one of my Embers.