Community Service

Over the years, I have been involved in a number of volunteer activities. I have been a Children’s Liturgy leader at my local parish and served dinner to those in need at Soul’s Harbour Rescue Mission.

I have also been involved in the Regina Food Bank Drive annually since I was a child. We go door to door and collect non-perishable food donations every October, and it has always been one of my favourite community service activities. I get excited every year when it rolls around!

“The happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.”

-H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Inside the Box

I recently took on the role of Fundraising Coordinator for a local mental health non-profit organization called Inside the Box. The organization was started by Paige Hamann, a friend of mine that I met through a university education class. Inside the Box’s initiative aims to advocate for mental health in athletics. Our mission is to support athletes and coaches who are affected by mental illness through conducting research, developing training programs, and providing education on how to prioritize one’s mental health as an athlete.

I am very passionate about mental health, as I have a number of close family members who have struggled with mental health issues throughout their lives. I believe mental health should be prioritized in all aspects of our lives and that everyone should be educated about mental health issues, regardless of whether or not they have a mental illness.

Girl Guides

Girl Guides of Canada is by far the community service activity closest to my heart. I have been involved in Girl Guides since the age of six. Girl Guides has played a highly important role in my own life and identity. Throughout my childhood and early teenage years, the program helped me branch out and empowered me to become the confident woman I am today. I began volunteering as a Girl Guide leader for a Brownie unit in 2016. As a Brownie leader, I work with girls between the ages of seven and eight on a weekly basis. My duties as a leader include planning and facilitating activities, supervising the girls, communicating with my fellow leaders, and organizing outings within our community.

Being a Girl Guide leader brings me an unexplainable amount of joy and fulfillment. I absolutely love the young ladies I work with; they never fail to bring a smile to my face. I act as a positive role model for these girls, which is incredibly important to me. I do my best every week to demonstrate love and acceptance by complimenting the girls, congratulating them on their successes, and taking the time to listen to them when they are upset. Girl Guides is something I am truly passionate about. Being a Girl Guide leader is a major commitment; I volunteer close to 100 hours a year. However, every second is worth it to me. I know that I am providing these young girls with a safe space, lasting friendships, practical life skills, and the opportunity to explore. Most importantly, I am helping to empower them to become whoever they dream to be.

A sweet note I received from one of my Brownies.