Truth and Reconciliation

Shattering the Silence

Shattering the Silence is an eBook published by the Faculty of Education at the University of Regina. It raises awareness about the trauma and pain residential schools caused and provides information on attempts at reconciliation today. The eBook shares the real and raw stories of residential school survivors, which in itself is an important step towards reconciliation. I read this book in my high school English class, and I am confident the knowledge I gained from this text will help me become a more compassionate educator that will strive to facilitate reconciliation within my own classroom and school community.

Project of Heart

Project of Heart is a collaborative project that aims at facilitating reconciliation by teaching students about the realities of Canadian residential schools. The project works to remember and commemorate the thousands of children who died while attending residential schools through the creation of a tile. Project of Heart is an excellent example of how reconciliation can, and should, be promoted within schools.

Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s 94 Calls to Action outline the steps that need to be taken in order for reconciliation to be achieved. Calls to Action #6 to #12 as well at #62 to #65 directly relate to education and the changes that need to occur within Canada’s education systems and curriculums. Although a number of the Calls to Action have already been accomplished, there is still a great deal of work and progress required. As teachers, it is vital that we educate ourselves on these Calls to Action in order to promote reconciliation within our own classrooms and school communities.

Missing & Murdered: Finding Cleo

Missing & Murdered: Finding Cleo is a CBC podcast that investigates the death of a young Cree girl from Saskatchewan who was adopted into the United States. Cleo’s biological siblings are desperate for answers about where their sister went and what happened to her. The podcast is real, raw, and provides Indigenous people a platform to share their stories. It raises awareness about the Sixties Scoop, abuse within the foster care system, mental health challenges, and the intergenerational effects of the trauma many Indigenous Canadians have faced.