A Nervous Beginning

September 14, 2022 0 By Sydney Winterholt

Welcome to my first blog post! My name is Sydney Winterholt and I am in my third year of the elementary education program at the UofR. A brief background about me is that I grew up in North Battleford Sk, I decided at a young age that I would want to grow up to be a teacher. My three siblings, an older sister and two younger brothers like to complain how when we were younger I would always convince them to play ‘school’ with me and how I always got to be the teacher and they always had to be the students. My parents supported our game of school as in the basement my dad would build school desks or find old ones, installed a white board and at one point our basement looked close to an average classroom. My favourite thing to do with my mom growing up was going to the learning (teacher) store where I would beg my mom to purchase me teaching supplies to add to the aesthetic of our classroom basement. As we grew older and we slowly stopped playing school our basement unfortunately turned into a kid TV room; however I still have a bucket of some of the purchased supplies labeled ‘Sydney’s Classroom’ to use again for my future classroom. If you want to know more about my personal life you can find more information under the About Me tab located on the menu.

This is my first course I have taken on educational technology and I am very excited to expand my knowledge on it. I chose this course because I personally think technology and media play a large role in todays society and will continue to. Therefore, I want to have an understanding of using it in a positive way to best support both my career and my future students.

I do not have much of a background in this area of knowledge so I was very excited to be able to take this course as I feel it is very relevant and important. I created this blog platform in my first year of the education program as it was a required component but I have not come back to it since completing that course.

I feel blogging is a very useful tool to both learn and teach from, I think it is a great resource to use. I think it would be very helpful and useful as an educator as you can build a community with other teachers and school staff to share experiences, resources and help each other out.

Since I do not have a large background knowledge on this topic and I don’t have a lot of experience blogging, I am nervous for this journey. Although I am quite nervous to blog, I do think it is an important and beneficial aspect to a career in education so despite the nerves I am also excited!