Uncategorized

Week 2:

As a child, skin colour was never something I would ask about or acknowledge. I feel like I almost never noticed when someone had different skin colour then me. My best friend throughout Elementary and High School was black so, it was just normal to me. I started to notice we had different coloured skin in high school because people felt the need to point it out. We would go out to the mall and people of all skin colours would be giving us a confusing look, it was like they were thinking why is a white and black person hanging out. In school we learned about Canadian history and not about race and different types of culture. This could have shaped society into how we are today because when someone mentions race it can be discriminating so, “if we ignore it and don’t talk about racism it will go away.” If we learned about the black culture in school from a young age I always wondered if I would have noticed her skin colour more or even less. When we don’t talk about skin colour as children, they are left on their own to make conclusions about these differences and can lead to misguided or biased opinions because of the world we live in. Race never mattered to me but in our country it does and always has. Until the Black Lives Matter Movement is when I actually started to educate myself on different skin colours and until university is when I have actually talked about it in a class setting. Talking about race is uncomfortable to me because I am uneducated on the subject and I would never want to say the wrong thing especially because I have a black friend, I would never want her to feel discriminated.  

• Robin Schaffer

Great post Jenna. I can relate to a lot of what you talked about, one of the things being the looks people give when two people with different coloured skin hang out together in public. It is unfortunately easy to spot those who are either racist or uneducated because they are the ones who stare in an uncomfortable manor, oppose to those that do not even look or notice. I feel as though the black lives movement encouraged a lot of people to care and gain knowledge who may not have had access to the information before which is exceptional, and I am glad you are one of them. I completely agree with how you state “Talking about race is uncomfortable”, I also think that it is. I think it is because society has deemed the topic as uncomfortable, when in reality it is not and continuing to be open and raise awareness will prove that. I am always afraid of saying the wrong thing to people or hurting their feelings, and in person I have a tendency to talk fast, or without fully thinking so I worry that things may come out wrong and be taken in a way I don’t mean. I would love to hear about a specific example or time when you noticed people staring at you and your friend in public since it is a topic I have some experience with. Keep up the great work on your stories 🙂