Why Teaching Digital Citizenship is Important

Ribble’s 9 elements of digital citizenship are essential for educators to understand in order to effectively introduce/use technology in the classroom. This is because each element covers an important trait that students must comprehend in order to use technology in a safe, positive, and expressive way. For example if a teacher or student does not fully comprehend element #8, Digital Law, they may find themselves in trouble for breaking a rule. An example of this could be a student cyberbullying another classmate and finding themselves in trouble with their behaviour documented. Educating students on how to properly behave online is an important step so we can create safe and positive online spaces.

When and How should Educators teach Ribble’s 9 Elements?

There are many different grades and subjects that the concept of digital citizenship can be taught. Students should be introduced to all elements of digital citizenship at an early age as the use of technology becomes a more and more essential element of learning. I believe if educators can integrate learning about digital citizenship into an assignment they should be encouraged to do so. Once students reach an age where they are interacting with others and exploring on the internet they should learn how to safely use technology. Learning can be integrated into lessons where students are tasked with researching, interacting with others assignments, and building a positive community for online learning. Once students reach high school learning about digital citizenship can be more in depth with students learning about copyright, how to build your online resume, and collaborating with others. An example of this would be when students are writing an English essay having them use the internet to research. This can be used as a great opportunity to teach students about copyright, citing work, and determining what is false information. Teachers will have many different challenges and teaching opportunities depending on the age of their students and if they teach a specific class.

How do I plan on Integrating Digital Citizenship into my Classroom?

As a future high school mathematics teacher, I plan on ensuring all my students have the ability to access technology, understand the rules of technology use in my classroom, and have a healthy balance of technology integration. I think it is very important for students to have a technology compliment traditional learning methods. Using tools like SMART Boards, iPads, and problem solving apps can enhance how students learn. Unfortunately they can also lead to distractions and cheating, so teaching students about proper online etiquette is important. I want to help my students by providing math resources for them to use and teaching about digital fluency. I view technology as a great tool that can make learning more enjoyable and explorative when used correctly.

Credit for cover photo: RODNAE Productions via Pexels

One thought on “Why Teaching Digital Citizenship is Important

1. I really enjoyed reading your article and liked how it was broken down into different segments each with clear questions. A lot of the key points I agree upon, including that digital citizenship as a concept can and needs to be applied to all the different branches of the SK curriculum that students interact with. Technology brings with it benefits but as you mentioned challenges and distractions, this is why careful monitoring is necessary.