Where you are today matters for who you'll be tomorrow

ASL: Family Names (and hopefully some food for later)

This week, my goal for my ASL learning project was to practice learning the signs of family names and different types of food.

I am going to admit that I found this week a bit harder to have the same kind of time and motivation to learn new ASL signs than the last few weeks. I learned different family names, however, I am struggling a bit more to remember food signs. I was unable to learn the food signs to a point in which I felt I could make a video of them, but I plan to move towards learning food next week.

Once again, I used the ASL Stack Skills course to learn the family names. I went through the video at least 4-5 times while learning the new signs. For some reason, I found family names difficult to differentiate between each other. Many of the signs are very similar to one another with slight changes or with extra signs added on. For example, girl and daughter are very similar. They both have the same first sign, but then daughter has a different second sign. Girl and wife are also very similar with both having the same first sign, but then wife adds the sign for “marry” as a second sign.

Stack Skills

Here is a video of the family names I learned:

I feel like my brain is having a hard time trying to remember all of the prior signs that I already know as well as trying to learn new ones. One trick I have been trying to use to combat this is that whenever I see or hear the name of the object I know the sign for, I will practice doing the sign in that moment. I have asked my husband a few times to say a name of an animal or color so that I can practice recalling the proper ASL sign. I also try to practice different signs when I am driving by myself. There are a lot of moments where I can practice signs I already know, but I find it hard to put aside time to learn new signs. However, I plan to keep trying!

Goal:

• I am going to try and go over each sign that I have learned so far at least twice this week to keep them fresh in my memory
  • I am going to slowly work through learning different types of food
  • I will keep on doing hand exercises to keep my hands strong and flexible

1. Benton Froc

Hi Nicole!

Your progress so far is awesome! I am also doing ASL, and am constantly thinking about where to go next in terms of what to learn and practice. Admittedly, I’ve been inspired by your goals so far too! I am just starting the basic signs and seeing what the family signs are and some difficulties you’ve had is a good heads up. I also really like how clear and specific your goals are, and I’m sure you are setting yourself up for success. I look forward to your progress for next week!

2. Emily Mooney

Hi Nicole!
    Your signing looks great! I learned a bit of ASL a few years ago, and remember always thinking about touching an invisible ball cap when I did the signs for boys and men! It’s interesting how all the female signs are connected and all the male signs are connected. Did you learn any signs for nonbinary family members? Watching your video got me thinking about inclusive signs and I’d be interested in seeing what the signs might be for non-gendered words like child, parent, sibling, or spouse!

• nfm429

Hi Emily! That is an interesting point! The course that I have been learning from hasn’t provided any signs for those words. I am going to try and look into it!

3. Danica

Hi Nicole,

Your video is amazing! The signs that you demonstrate look really well done, which i’m sure took lots of practice. After seeing your posts I am inspired to learn ASL myself over the summer! I was wondering what you used an app or website to create your video. Your intro with your name and title looks really great!
    I look forward to reading your update next week on foods!

Danica

• nfm429

Hi Danica! The software I used is called Wondershare Filmora X. I believe there is a free version for it, but I have the full version which I think I paid a one time fee for. It has been very useful in making videos for this class!

4. Meagan McLeod

Great video Nicole! It is amazing to see how much progress you have made since the first week of this learning project! Often I find myself forgetting certain English words for things, so I can’t imagine trying to memorize a new language.
    One thing I am curious about regarding ASL is if the signs are hand specific. For example, I notice you mainly use your right hand, if someone was left hand dominant, would the signs be backwards or could they sign mainly using their left hand?
    Keep up the great work!

• nfm429

Hi Meagan! That is a great question! From what I understand, any one handed signs are mostly, if not always, done with your dominant hand. If you are doing two handed signs, your dominant hand is usually doing the main movements that are involved with the sign.
      For example, for the sign “daughter”, (if you are right handed) your left hand stays in the stationary cradle shape, while your right hand does the main movements.