Field Blog 6

On Tuesday November 13th, 2018 I had my 6th field placement. We started the day off like we always do with the Daily 5. For the Daily 5 today I helped two boys who are struggling with reading. I had to read them the story and then after I had read it to them, I was to ask them questions based on the story and they needed help sleeping and reading because they are both in grade 3 and are reading at a grade 1 level.

After recess my partner and I sat in on the kids French class. We did not help out too much as it was not with our co-op teacher and neither of us really speak French. We did however walk around and help the kids with what word the were supposed to highlight with in the poem they were reading, the teacher was showing them which ones to highlight but some of the kids were struggling. The poem they were reading was about soldiers in the war and they had started reading it the week before remembrance day. After they had finished reading and high lighting the poem, they sang it. After doing the poem they moved on to a crossword puzzle based off of the poem they read and were to do the poem in partners. They were given 10 minutes to work on the puzzle. After the 10 minutes were up, they were given a second assignment. The assignment was so the kids were to write a start of a sentence “Je porte un coquelicot…” which means “I wear a poppy because…” and after they had written this down, they were to write why they wore a poppy in English.

As for this week question what is being taught is pretty simple. For math they are doing number sense which include greater than and less than value numbers, ordering numbers which is the baseline that is getting them ready for addition and subtraction. For Social Studies they are being taught stuff based on communities which will later on spread out into diverse communities like needs and wants, and about people within the community and what roles everyone plays. Our co-op teacher likes this class because she can spread out this subject to so much more with out going off track. The Daily 5 is used as their English class because it is all spelling, writing, and reading. The teacher table is used to help with reading comprehension. Word work helps them remember how to spell words or what that word is, so it helps them remember words for the future. The students see learning as being very important and useful in everyday life and they see it as something they will always need to know and use. They think learning is important to become smarter. But of course, every story of learning is different to each kid and they all have different ways of learning.