My hockey career has given me so many things throughout my life. One of those things is being able to give back to the community through coaching. Since my first year of junior hockey in 2016-17, I have had the opportunity to skate with minor hockey teams throughout each season a form of community service. Since returning home to play at the University of Regina at the conclusion of my junior hockey career, I have been reached out too by many minor hockey teams who are looking for goaltending instructions. I have even been running private lessons for young goaltenders in and around the Regina area. Since the goaltending position is so unique, there is a high demand for coaches who have played the game at a fairly high level, in order to pass down knowledge to younger players. I have a great opportunity to give back to the place I call home and grew up in through coaching.

While it is very rewarding seeing your young athletes grow and develop their skills, I have taken away more than just instructing them on the ice. Learning how to talk to them in ways they will understand, how to motivate them to want to work hard and improve, and to build a healthy relationship, are all things I can relate to being important in a classroom setting as well. While I am grateful for the opportunities coaching has given me throughout the hockey community, I believe it also allows me to develop the teacher side of me and continue to learn how to communicate with younger people and motivate them to be the best they can be through hard work.