830 Summary of Learning!

Well another semester has come and gone!

I am so thankful to have been about to get of the waitlist and get my mind turning with all of these awesome debates!

Of course, my summary did not turn out like I imagines but here are some of my largest take aways from the course! Enjoy!

(P.s- Does it take anyone else 4 hours to shoot a 6 minute clip…. Yikes!)

The Great Ed. Tech Debate- Take 7&8

And just like that, we completed our last two debates!

What an exciting Semester!

Like all the others these statements got the wheels turning as both sides make valid and truthful points!

Debate 7: It is Educators Responsibility to help students develop a Digital Footprint

To be honest, I have no idea what a digital footprint was up until now! I assumed I had one, as I activity use social media. However, I did not think about it all inclusively like active apps, commenting and my online shopping addiction! Originally I didn’t think it was a teachers responsibility to develop student’s footprints but I did feel it was our responsibility to inform students that all online actions have an outcome!

On the agree side they argued just that! They said that while developing students digital footprints they will….

1. Create safe online habits and build a healthy foundation from a young age. Decipher fake/real news and how to actively and properly participate online.
      2. Develop basic skills for future and create real spaces.
      3. Family workshops to inform families of safe practices and keep them up to date on the newest platforms to make all things tech. less intimidating.
      4. EVERYONE has a footprint. Focus on what students can do with a footprint instead of what it will do to them.

The disagree side argued that it is not and cannot be solely teachers responsibility because…

1. Not enough PD for educators, allowing for discrepancies in knowledge passed on.
      2. Very challenging to protect the privacy of all students in a school setting.
      3. Even with consent, many families may not know what they are signing up for.
      4. Many students have an online presence before even entering school.
      5. Currently Reactive approaches are taken rather than proactive approaches.
      6. Much larger problem than teachers can handle, need to look at bigger companies their goals.

Both made many good points but I always go back to is it the teachers responsibility?

Well since tech is used, taught and explored at school it seems only right for teachers to help student develop their digital footprint. However, I believe teachers cannot be solely held responsible.

Child start to create an online presence long before they get to school and there is so much time spent outside of school that teachers have no control over. While I believe yes 100% teachers should be creating and educating digital citizens, it is a team effort inclusive of Families, government, large companies. Unfortunately, many have their own agendas and don’t have children’s best interests in mind.

Debate 8: Online Learning is Detrimental to Academic Development

Oh goodness, what a topic. My brain automatically is like Ohhhh yeah its detrimental. Which is why I needed to be apart of this debate to see the other side!

The most important thing that needs to be remembered is that Emergency Covid Pandemic is very different than Organized, planned online learning platforms!

Our agree team argued that online teaching is detrimental to academics because…

1. Screen Time is increased and can have adverse effects.
      2. Not as much social and group experiences such as working as a team, cooperation, problem solving as in person.
      3. Assessment is challenging.
      4. Practical and Applied Arts/ Hands on are more difficult
      5. Distractions at home.
      6. No access to additional items like food, shelter, a safe place.

This is essentially where my mind went when we started online learning in the pandemic!

Obviously, these were not planned, we were all rushed and thrown into something we did not sign up for or have ever done before. I am comfortable saying my online teaching experience was detrimental to student academics as well as social experiences. Online also created extreme stress for many of our families because school provided more than academics, it also provided adults the ability to go to work, it provided food and other necessities!

HOWEVER! This is a big however, because when online learning is planned and requested by both parties it can provide undeniable ways of enhancing learning opportunities. Our disagree team argued….

1. It allows for flexibility and accessibility. Students can learn on their own time and work into their own schedule for whatever reasons, work, sports, hearing, visual, physical demands, anxiety.
      2. Creates strong independent skills.
      3. More affordable.
      4. Can provide more one on one time between teacher and student.

Such strong arguments! Much like our other arguments all controversial and dependent on the situation.

I can definitely see benefits to both sides! I feel grateful to be living in a time where we have access to all these options and can choose to make choices that are a best fit for us!

The Great Ed. Tech. Debate- Take 5 & 6

Mondays don’t tend to be very exciting….

That is until new episodes of The Great Ed. Tech Debate started to be released every Monday night!

They never seem to disappoint. This week dug into two topics, Is Social Media Ruining Childhood? and Should Cellphones be Banned in the Classroom?

Again, two very controversial topics… Depending on how you look at it!

Debate 5: Is Social Media Ruining Childhood?

I immediately want to say yes! For goodness sakes, I think it is ruining my adulthood somedays! Here are some of the main arguments from both sides.

Agree Team:

• Social Media and Technology Overshadows Play.                                                                Like I said sometimes I catch myself letting social media take over my play time. However, I have gained some willpower to restrain myself from checking social media when I am out and about, when I am with friends or family. Although, sometimes social media can take over conversations or influence conversations and thoughts had.

When I think of social media and childhood, which in m head is ages 5-13, they don’t necessarily have that restraint yet and don’t always have an understanding of the large influences and impacts it can have on their actions, conversations and thoughts.

• Scaring and Hard to Monitor.                                                                                                   Turn on the child controls and monitor children when they are on technology they say…But lets be real, there are always loop holes, ads, that can be easily accessed in a blink of an eye. We all have scrolled by something we wish we didn’t see or read and once its seen, it can’t be unseen.
  • Cyberbullying                                                                                                                                         It is much easier to say, share, post, harmful messages towards someone behind a screen than in person. Spreads like wildfire and cant be simply be erased or forgotten.
  • Addiction, Distraction, Depression                                                                                               It is a vicious cycle… All things technology can be so engaging it becomes addicting. It is designed to draw you in and keep you there. It can then become a distraction from other important things in your life and can expose you to harmful images, messages and ideologies.

Yet, is it social medias fault for ruining childhood? Is childhood really being ruined?

Possibly not. Maybe it’s simply adapting.

Disagree Team:

• Enhances Education and Shares Info and Insight                                                                    If you’re a teacher, you know Pinterest. The best app to help generate ideas, find hobbies and build passions. This also applies to lots of other apps, Instagram, Facebook, you’d be lying if you haven’t ever got an idea or information off social media. It is updated in real time, efficient and effective. Why shouldn’t kids also use these tools?
  • Connection                                                                                                                                    Social Media is all about the ability to connect with peers with similar interests and passions, hardships, and needs. It provides opportunity to show and acknowledge representation of differences and similarities. It provides “I am not alone” mentality.
  • Opportunity                                                                                                                                    While exposure on social media can sometimes be taken in a negative direction, it can also be the absolute best thing for people to learn, find, try new passions and be successful in whatever they want to be or do. Ever heard of Justin Bieber? Without Youtube, you probably wouldn’t!

Every Monday I tend to say the same thing….

Two sides to every story!

In conclusion, I truly believe we cannot blame ALL childhood issues on technology.

Yes, it can be harmful.

Yes, it can expose inappropriate age level content.

Yes, it can be distracting.

Yes, it can used to bully, become addictive and distract from our everyday lives.

However, it can be an extremely useful tool, build off current or inspire new passions, spread information and build community.

With background knowledge, considerations about technology, the education of what it takes to be a good digital citizen and also moderation, technology can be an outstandingly educational tool!

Debate 6: Should Cellphone be banned in the classroom?

Well doesn’t this tie in nicely with the pervious debate!

Let’s hope right into the arguments…

Agree Team:

• Ban Phones. They are a huge Distraction.                                                                                As I stated before, they sure can be for me! My phone can totally take me out of the present moment, distract me from my current task, and put me in a zone where I don’t hear or see that’s going on around me. Phones allow the outside world to be present in the classroom. If students are using their phones in class, they have the opportunity to become extremely distracted.

• Distractions to Others.                                                                                                                         You can guarantee is one has their phone out their peers will follow along.  As a teacher, I would become extremely distracted too.

They can become stolen and broken, causing problems and takes away time for school activities.

• Cheating.                                                                                                                                         There are ways to monitor this, however you never know! As teachers, we want to know what our students understand to better support them!
    • The Digital Divide   

Some students will have access to technology andomome wont. Some will
have
different tools and platforms while others may have none. Allowing students to have phones in the classroom could cause discrepancies in accessibility.

• Privacy                                                                                                                                            Teachers, peers have no privacy if students are allowed the access their phones with cameras, microphones, etc.

Disagree Team:

• We live in a Digitally Integrated Society.                                                                      Technology is relied upon in all aspects of life. Why not allow students to gain and understand those tools and give them opportunities to find the boundaries and limitations on when to use their phones.
  • Effective                                                                                                                                                    Phones are effective. You can utilize them to engage student participation, develop collaborative spaces and projects. They are flexible and realistic tools.
  • Emergency Situations                                                                                                                  Families are able to directing communicate with students in emergency situations.

Ahhh! I am so torn on this one. I do believe phones can be a distraction to students for many reasons. I believe they can take lots of time out of the school day to handle problems. There seem to be so many more reasons to ban phone in the classroom.

However, I think we need to consider the opportunities they provide. They allow for engagement, collaboration, and tools for students to be successful. Students must also be provided the opportunity to build boundaries and create good digital habits.

Two sides to every story and both need to be taken into consideration when creating a digital environment for students!

The Great Ed Tech. Debate: Take 3 & 4

Wow, what a night! 

Two intense debates and four very strong arguments! My adrenaline is still pumping a day later!

We started the night off with Debate #3: 

Schools should no longer teach skills that can be easily carried out by technology (e.g., cursive writing, multiplication tables, spelling).

Very interesting…. 

The Agree Team Argued that…

Technology is the future. 

So true. It is relied upon and integrated into our everyday tasks, that truthfully I don’t know what I would do without it! Why not set up our children for success down the road!

Effective and Efficient:

By using technology to effectively and efficiently complete tasks we have more time to focus on creative thinking and mental well being.

Student Centered, Independent and Engaging: 

The skill and use of technology allows students to drive their learning in the direction they choose, creating independent and engaged learners

The Disagree Team Argues that…

Essential for Fine Motor Skill Developement:

Teaching students to write instead of type, and draw instead of calculate, students develop fine motor skills that are needed for necessary everyday actions.

Better Processed and Problem Solving Skills:

When students use strategies that do not involve technology, they develop a deeper understanding of the process instead of simply gaining an outcome

Equity Gap Widened:

Teaching with only technology can create a larger Equity Gap because some children will have opportunities to practice and apply these skills outside of the class, while others will not.

If I am being honest I voted in favor of the disagree side both prior and after the debate. My reasoning is simply, I believe there is a place for both skills in the classroom. Technology and traditional skills have the ability to enhance each other when both are present.

If only traditional skills were taught… All I can think of is the groups quote “If we teach today as we taught yesterday we rob our children of tomorrow”. We know technology is becoming more and more present and relied upon in society and therefore need to expose our students to such skills.

On the other hand if only technology was taught… I really do believe students would lack understanding (especially in math concepts), fine motor skills would not develop and I don’t think the skill of printing/handwriting and spelling will ever go out of style. Although these skills take time and a lot of practice, I truly believe they are an undeniably important part of children’s development. 

So I guess I am taking the easy way out, but in conclusion, both tech and traditional skills need to be taught and intertwined in the classroom to set them up for future success. 

Moving on to Debate #4:

Educators have a responsibility to use technology and social media to promote social justice.

What a hot topic and what a privilege it was to take part in this debate! Actually.. I was beyond nervous and scared to death to debate in favour of the disagree side!

The reason for that is…

I DO think it is educators responsibility to discuss and examine social justice issues in the classroom.

I DO think it is their duty to share personal opinions respectfully. 

I DO think educators have a responsibility to help students find their voices and model how to present them in a thoughtful manner.  

I DO think it is their responsibility to address appropriate social media practices to make informed decisions online. 

However, in the end I DO NOT think it is educators responsibility to use technology and social media to promote social justice issues if they do not feel comfortable. It doesn’t mean they can’t, but that is their choice.

To summarize the arguments, the Agree Team Acknowledged…

-Using technology and social media connects communities, shares information and events to promote issues students need to know about.  

-Technology is already embedded into their everyday routines and is a great agent of change.

– Develops critical thinkers and gives students a voice. 

– Teaching and education is not neutral

Amazing points that I do not disagree with at all!!

To summarize our Arguments on the Disagree Side…

-Educators do not need to be neutral, but rather teach the values of differences in the classroom to allow for a safe space for all students, families, and colleagues. 

– There are effective ways to promote and make change regarding social justice issues rather than simply posting on social media.

– Teachers must protect themselves and it is their choice if they feel comfortable posting on social media.

– It is not the educators responsibility to use technology and social media to promote social justice issues. (Not to say such issues should not be represented and acknowledged in teaching.)

In conclusion, I really truly see both sides!

I believe the purpose of these debate topics are not to prove one side is correct and the other is wrong, but to shed light on both sides and see how when both sides work together it is most beneficial for our students!

The Great Ed Tech Debate- Take 1 & 2

Wow! Great job teams, the Great Ed Tech Debate was started strong!

Initially, when I first read all the statements, my opinions was were mostly one sided. This past week, I was reminded how many sides of each story has!

Debate Topic #1: Technology in the classroom enhances learning.

My first response was like “Duh! What would we do without it!” Most of my peers agreed as we saw in the pre vote when around 80% of students believed that this statement was true!

Here are the main arguments that convinced this statement to be true.

• Technology engages students.
  • Improves access for teachers and students to receive up to date resources and facts.
  • Provides means for all learners with multiple needs.
  • Enhances communication and feedback
  • Efficient planning and teaching, so teachers can spend time connecting and building relationships.
  • Technology allows students to take the lead on inquiry-based learning.
  • Students learn skills that will set them up for the future.

Let’s be real, there are countless ways that that technology enhances teaching and learning. However, the apposing team’s statement brought to my attention some very interesting, and accurate points!

Here are the main arguments that convinced this statement to be false.

• Technology distracts students from learning.
  • Technology emphasized societal gaps and highlight inequities.
  • Less retained when note taking and engaging on technology
  • Negative effects on physical, mental, and social health.

While my list for the negative effects of technology is much shorter, they seemed to have hit me in a much deeper way and even as an adult, I can relate to some of the effects!

I hate to admit it but, technology can distract me, in my personal and professional life. While, I love technology and it benefits me in countless ways, I see the detriments it does or can play. Even though I have boundaries and know limits, I can spend too much time scrolling, obsessing over this and that, and then become overwhelmed!

For me, these boundaries and knowledge came with experience and my era of technology development was very forgiving. Today world of technology is much less forgiving. Apps, tools, connections are all being tossed children’s way with little or no guidance, leaving them reliant and obsessive on devices.

Being so incredibly reliant on devices, can make social situations more difficult face to face than over an email or even a phone call. As time goes on the difficulty will only continue to grow as the face to face interactions and connections are not practiced.

With the availability of technology and the joy it brings to children, things such as sports, fitness, sleep, reading and even eating can be pushed aside. We know as adults how time consuming and addictive devices can be and like to think we have the will power to stop, eat, sleep but it even for adults we know it can be challenging. So for children, they really need that guidance.

Lastly, I must agree with the information that is less retained while reading and taking notes on the computer. I am still a person who loves to print off readings, highlight and write notes on the side. I find the same thing with students. When I ask them to play a digital game about a topic, they sometimes rush through and don’t understand the concept, because it appears more abstract. However, a game with blocks and dice, etc. can sometime be much more effective.

In conclusion, both made excellent points about how amazing technology came be. Its quick, effective, engaging, connects us to every possible opportunity out there, but….

The big BUT here is that it is used effectively and proper situations, with an intentional purpose. Technology is amazing, there is no doubt about that, but moderation, boundaries and background education needs to be put in place to make it the best it can be.

Debate #2: Technology has led to a more equitable society.

This topic was slightly different than the last because I was totally split down the middle… I agreed but I also disagreed! I was interested to hear each team’s arguments and see if they could help me decide a favourable position.

Agree Arguments:

• Personalize lessons to meet students learning needs.
  • Opportunities to reduce societal gaps.
  • Optimize workspaces for people with all abilities.
  • Bring awareness to the present gaps in society.

Disagree Arguments:

• The Digital Divide became more emphasised and expanded during Covid Pandemic.
  • The gap only becomes larger as society relies more on technology.

Since both teams made amazing points, my opinion remained undecided, much like our first topic.

On the one hand, I have witnessed the life changing tools provided by technology that can give people the ability to see, move, hear, share stories, reduce pain… the list goes on.

Yet, what is unbelievable is that those resources are not shared by all. Due to the discrepancy of resources and knowledge that are attained by different classes, the gap continues to be increase.

While the main culprit is not technology, but the various other continuous systemic issues, technology does play a part in perpetrating those gaps.

In the end, this is such a tricky question because yes, it is completely extraordinary what it can assist people with. However, if it not available, implemented, taught and practiced the gap only grows.

Oh Technology, What Would We Do Without You!

Technology is a naturally engrained part of my day, from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep, I am connected in some sort of way. Even when I intentionally disconnect, technology is what gets me to that space.

Now, because technology is such a huge part of every day, I decided to categorize the uses up into three sections, Communication & Connection, Effective & Efficiency, and of course Luxury & Entertainment.

The list was overwhelming so I tried to break it down as best I could without writing a novel.

I came to realize that although I am not the techiest person, man on man do I rely on technology.

Communication & Connection:

Devices: Cell Phone, Computer

Apps: Text Message, Facetime/Zoom, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Email

If I had to choose one thing technology did for me, it would be the most basic of communication. I feel so grateful to have a device that keeps me consistently connected with family and friends. It puts my mind at ease to check in with a sick friend, School emails keeps me organized and on top of my duties for the week, I can share good news with my family in one place, and I can get a sweet video from my niece and nephew to bright up my day. As many would probably agree, all these simple methods of communication, became more valuable than ever during the Covid Lockdowns. Although nothing replaces face to face connection, I am truly thankful that I never missed a beat even in months of not seeing loved ones!

Effective & Efficiency:  

Devices: Computer, Projector, Cell Phone

Apps: Various Teacher Subscriptions, Email, Pinterest, TPT

Although I am most thankful for communication, without technology I would be completely lost in my work as a teacher. First, I would be late to work every day, I would spend every moment of my free time prepping for teaching and guaranteed my lessons would not be engaging at all!

My first thought was back to when I was in elementary school, how my teachers would have to hand write report cards, and notes and make their own worksheets! Jeepers!! Thank goodness for copy & paste, and printers!!

Now, with a click of a button I have access to pre-made lessons, worksheets, units, and various tools and videos to engage in those lessons. We have so many options, and although it can be extremely overwhelming, we are so lucky that if one way of teaching doesn’t work we can instantly show student more examples or a variety of different way to get the outcome across. Not to mention teach me concepts I don’t know!

We can project videos, interactive platforms and examples and even do examp

les along with the students using a document cam.

These devices also make me reliable! With the use of my phone I can wake up on time, check the traffic updates for my route to school and access to instant communication to help colleagues and students’ families.

Luxury & Entertainment:

Devices: Cell P

hone, AirPods, Watch, Wifi

Apps: Social Media, Music, Netflix, etc., Skip the Dishes

Okay, okay… I know I talked the other sections up, but of course I love my little bit of luxury that technology provides me. I start my day with a really smart lamp that imitates a sunrise so I can wake up slowly and cozy…. How it works, I don’t know…WIFI?

Then I roll over and the first thing I do is grab my phone, look for any updates from family and friends. Then, get this, before I even get out of bed I know how to dress for the weather, updated on current events and posting and I am reminded to pay my bills and transfer the money over in minutes. It’s amazing!

Then I slip on my watch, which will tell me how many steps I take, how many hours I stand and exercise, and get this it will remind me when to breath when I need to relax!

As I drink my coffee, I scroll through my social media platforms where I am informed of all the gossip, who’s birthday it is and get jealous of all the people traveling the world! I then pop in my AirPods that sync up to my watch and phone so when I go for a run, I can have my little friend Siri, tell me how many km’s I’ve gone, my pace, she’ll skip songs for me and would even reply to text messages if I wanted!

If I chose to workout inside, I have my own personal trainer on my fitness app or if I want to hit the treadmill, I can try to forget I’m running by somehow magically cast one of my pointless reality shows from my phone to the tv.

These routines all happen before 7 am…

As my day goes on, technology is consistently my source of information, entertainment and of course communication.

I do enjoy a good break from, MOST technology, when at the cabin or out camping, but evidently it is the reason I am there. It is how I book my camp sites and pointed me in the right direction with the help of Google Maps. It is how I ordered the groceries and the sleeping bag I am using.

The list goes on and on and on. Our world completely relies on technology. Although it sometimes gets a bad wrap for being unreliable or tricky or killing our brain cells…. When used properly it saves us time, creates community, and of course keeps us amused!

Thank you Technology!! Don’t know what I would do without you!

Summary of Learning

What a semester!

I can’t believe how fast it’s gone… I guess it’s true what they say, time flies when you’re having fun! And Learning…. And feeling Successful!
As I have reflected many times before, technology has never really been my thing and when the pandemic hit and suddenly our lives became dependent on the use of technology like never before. That being said, I really can admit I did a terrible job teaching remote learning at that time.

I can proudly say I would do a much better job if I encounter another pandemic in the future. And if not, (fingers crossed) I have gained tools, platforms and most of all confidence incorporating technology into my classroom daily.
Thank you EC&I 834 for an amazing semester!

Enjoy!

For a Closer Look at the Book!

The Grade Finale- Finale Prototype Submission

Well here it is!

Although, I still have much to learn about the world of online teaching, I am proud of what I have accomplished through this class. As I have mentioned many times, when we first headed to online learning, my lessons were not very good… to be kind, and technology use in the classroom, was an extra add on, that was a special activity for the students.

Man oh man, how that has changed!!

In my EC&I384 course, I have become so much more confident in implementing technology throughout my everyday lessons, and even sending some “homework” to engage family members in the learning. There are so many teacher/student friendly platforms, that truly enhance and engagement in students learning! I would love to go back and adjust my teaching style during online learning, although do not wish for another pandemic….ever!

In this prototype, my focus was to create a well-organized, easy to use, underwhelming system, for students, families and teachers to connect with. I believe my choice of Seesaw as a management system was a game changer. I initially was going to try Google Classroom, but switched it up halfway through and so happy I did.

For a more in depth look at my course, take a look at my blog post titled Let’s do it- Course Overview. I also posted a walkthrough of Module One which discusses some more of my rationale and the idea behind the set up of my course. This is found in my post It’s a Start.

It really was just a start! Once one module was completed, peers reviewed my profile and module and provided excellent feedback, that made it even more student friendly! I truly appreciated the extra sets of eyes, to express a different perspective than simply my thought process.

Below I have provided a course walk through where you will get a quick sneak peak of the modules and the tools I loved using Seesaw!

If you would like to explore a little more, use the link provided and instructions to sign in as “Suzie” using these instructions. SuzieLogIn

If you want to explore as a teacher, just let me know in the comments and I will send the sign in your way!

Feel free to critique and provide feedback!

And thank you to all my EC&I834 friends! You have taught me so much over the course of this semester!

Peer Reviews & Thoughts on Accessibility

Well to start off, I can not thank Bev and Kendra enough, they were the best “hype girl” reviewers ever!

I appreciate the confidence you have in my course and also the suggestions made!

Two points that were provided, included the math game Prodigy being too challenging for Grade 1 students! Well, it totally was because I had the grade setting on Grade 3!! It has now been changed back to Grade 1 and Patterning activities have been assigned! (Feel Free to give those a try Bev and thank you for bringing that to my attention!)

The other suggestion, was to add my “I can…”  statements from my profile into the online activities! Love this idea!

I find “I can..” statements easy for parents to understand the intention of the lesson and the scaffolding process. These statements are also used during face to face, class periods, which provides familiar language for grade 1’s! I also find then very encouraging for students to know they will be able to perform the task!

Moving on to this week’s classroom discussion about accessibility and equity. This is a concept that hits home to my current teaching role. Many of my students lack accessibility to basic needs such as food, a clean, safe home and access hygiene supplies. School to these students and families, is so much more than just learning. So, our initial response to the pandemic was “Holy Cow, they need food.” With and amazing admin. and strong staff we were able to supplies food to families to get them through the week. In the first wave, we had very little participation online, but at that point it seemed like fed families was more important.

When we entered the second (or third, or fourth, who knows how many there were!) we had that time to prepare and make learning more of a priority. Again, thanks to a wonderful admin. we were able to get permission to supply technology to families who needed a technology. However, there were some guidelines. We choose to provide to families who we considered reliable, leaving some students out. Although I understand that decision, as I was a part of it, I do understand it isn’t fair to the students.

To be honest, I don’t know what the solution would be to this. My school always made sure to provide paper copies to families without access to technology but then they aren’t able to interact with peers and teacher, ask for help and get support.

To end on a more positive note, I am very glad that there are so many tools to help with families who don’t fluently speak English and also to students who aren’t able to read yet!

The LMS I decided to use was Seesaw for these reasons! On Seesaw families are able to translate to all written messages to the default language of their device very easily. They can also respond back using their language and it will come to the teacher in English. For this reason, I always provide written instructions. Seesaw makes it very easy for the teacher and students to record audio instruction and responses, which allows students to understand and share without the ability to read or write.

I feel like Seesaw has created an easily accessible, straightforward platform to adapt to multiple needs, as long as families have technology involved!

It’s a Start!

OKAYYYYYY!

This week I was asked to share my first module of my blended learning course. I would first like to say, I would LOVE so feedback! I felt like I was taking a shot in the dark for this assignment, so feedback is appreciated!!

Secondly, I wanted to acknowledge that since writing my course profile, quite a bit has changed!

The biggest change being my LMS. I was originally going to use Google Classroom but decided to switch to Seesaw. It is a platform I am more familiar with and it provides many tools that benefit teachers, students, and families.

Course Shell:

This blended learning course is intendent to be used, in and outside of the classroom, as well as, as a means of teaching content if at any time individuals or classes need to go to a true online learning experience. Within the classroom context, students will have access to the unit modules during Math rotations, where they can review content, practice and be assessed in one location. Extensions will be provided to students who need to me challenged.

At home, students can share their progress, complete unfinished tasks, or additional practice.

Seesaw will be used as a hub to communicate to families, provide in and outside resources, activities, and assignments.

Module 1: Is it a pattern?

In class students would start by watching BrainpopJr up to introduce the Patterning Unit. This video will be posted in class Seesaw, for future reference.

They will further discuss patterns and identify patterns around the classroom. From there students will be work through 4 math centers which include “Math with Teacher”, “Math by Myself”, “Math Games” and of course “Math on Technology”. Groups will be a mixture of different reading and numeracy levels.

Math w/ Teacher: Students will complete Math Makes Sense Worksheet accompanied by Patterning Practice and Patterns (Ontario Curriculum).

Math Games: Students will play repeating pattern games created by Tara West.

Math by Myself: Small Book read and complete by Math Place.

**These resources will be consistently used throughout the course in their designated centers.

Math on Tech: Collection 1

Students will sign into personal Seesaw accounts using QR Codes, provided at station.

Students will then find there assigned info and activities in order of completion.

Lesson #1-What is a pattern?

BrainpopJr Video will be reposted to refer too!

Task 1- Interactive ScratchGarden Video. Students will watch and complete video. Can be watched at home to reteach to family.

Task 2- Complete Seesaw task “Is it a pattern?” in class.

Task 3-Homework- Sign into class Flipgrid. Find and post three patterns around your home. If students do not have assess to technology at home they can bring back ideas to share in class.

Once students have completed activities, teachers will be automatically notified to assess and provide feedback.

Module 2: Identify to Core and rule.

Every class will start with a small review and discussion from the previous day.

Display Flipgrid on the board. Analyze and discuss patterns found at home. Students who were unable to post can share their findings at this time. Do they agree that they are patterns, why or why not?

Ask students what the core of an apple is? It is the middle that holds that apply together and allows the apple to keep growing. This is the same as the core of a pattern! Display patterns and not patterns on the board. Have students identify the core and count how many times it repeats.

If the Core keeps it growing then the Rule makes sure it is doing it correctly. Create Rules together using “First ____, Then ____, Last _____”

Math on Tech: Collection 2

Students will then find their assigned info and activities in Lesson #2-Finding the Core and creating the Rule. (Saved as a collection)

Task 1-  Watch Find the Core and make the rule using the Seesaw Template.

Task 2- Among Us and Tell the Rule Seesaw activity.

Task 3-  Homework- Sign into class Flipgrid. Orally share a Pattern rule. (Ex: First draw a smiley face, then a star, last a ! and repeat).  Then listen to a peers video and draw out their rule. Bring to class to share!

Tasks are shown in order of completion.

Module 3: Extending the Pattern

Review by displaying rules and patterns posted on class FlipGrid.

Ask the question what would come next? This is called extending the pattern using the rules you know to predict what happens next.

Math on Tech: Collection 3

Task 1- Watch Scratch Garden interactive video.

Task 2- “What comes Next?” Seesaw activity.

Task 3- Homework-  Sign into personal Prodigy account with provide link and passwords.

Complete Assigned Assessment.

Module 4: Attributes (colour, shape, size)

Start by watching/doing Jack Hartmans Pump up the Pattern.

Discuss how these patterns were using body movements. Patterns come in all shapes, sizes, colours, actions, etc. These are called Attributes.

Math on Tech: Collection 4

Task 1- Attribute Review Video. Watch and participate in the video.

Task 2- Seesaw Attribute Activity.

Task 3- Homework- Flipgrid Action Pattern

If you’d like to see it put into action, please take a look at the video down below! I tried to highlight some of my favourite features and how teachers might create lessons for their class and a sneak peak at the student view!

Please provide any feedback and questions you may have!!!

Thanks in advance!