The Great Ed. Tech Debate- Take 7&8

And just like that, we completed our last two debates!

What an exciting Semester!

Like all the others these statements got the wheels turning as both sides make valid and truthful points!

Debate 7: It is Educators Responsibility to help students develop a Digital Footprint

To be honest, I have no idea what a digital footprint was up until now! I assumed I had one, as I activity use social media. However, I did not think about it all inclusively like active apps, commenting and my online shopping addiction! Originally I didn’t think it was a teachers responsibility to develop student’s footprints but I did feel it was our responsibility to inform students that all online actions have an outcome!

On the agree side they argued just that! They said that while developing students digital footprints they will….

1. Create safe online habits and build a healthy foundation from a young age. Decipher fake/real news and how to actively and properly participate online.
      2. Develop basic skills for future and create real spaces.
      3. Family workshops to inform families of safe practices and keep them up to date on the newest platforms to make all things tech. less intimidating.
      4. EVERYONE has a footprint. Focus on what students can do with a footprint instead of what it will do to them.

The disagree side argued that it is not and cannot be solely teachers responsibility because…

1. Not enough PD for educators, allowing for discrepancies in knowledge passed on.
      2. Very challenging to protect the privacy of all students in a school setting.
      3. Even with consent, many families may not know what they are signing up for.
      4. Many students have an online presence before even entering school.
      5. Currently Reactive approaches are taken rather than proactive approaches.
      6. Much larger problem than teachers can handle, need to look at bigger companies their goals.

Both made many good points but I always go back to is it the teachers responsibility?

Well since tech is used, taught and explored at school it seems only right for teachers to help student develop their digital footprint. However, I believe teachers cannot be solely held responsible.

Child start to create an online presence long before they get to school and there is so much time spent outside of school that teachers have no control over. While I believe yes 100% teachers should be creating and educating digital citizens, it is a team effort inclusive of Families, government, large companies. Unfortunately, many have their own agendas and don’t have children’s best interests in mind.

Debate 8: Online Learning is Detrimental to Academic Development

Oh goodness, what a topic. My brain automatically is like Ohhhh yeah its detrimental. Which is why I needed to be apart of this debate to see the other side!

The most important thing that needs to be remembered is that Emergency Covid Pandemic is very different than Organized, planned online learning platforms!

Our agree team argued that online teaching is detrimental to academics because…

1. Screen Time is increased and can have adverse effects.
      2. Not as much social and group experiences such as working as a team, cooperation, problem solving as in person.
      3. Assessment is challenging.
      4. Practical and Applied Arts/ Hands on are more difficult
      5. Distractions at home.
      6. No access to additional items like food, shelter, a safe place.

This is essentially where my mind went when we started online learning in the pandemic!

Obviously, these were not planned, we were all rushed and thrown into something we did not sign up for or have ever done before. I am comfortable saying my online teaching experience was detrimental to student academics as well as social experiences. Online also created extreme stress for many of our families because school provided more than academics, it also provided adults the ability to go to work, it provided food and other necessities!

HOWEVER! This is a big however, because when online learning is planned and requested by both parties it can provide undeniable ways of enhancing learning opportunities. Our disagree team argued….

1. It allows for flexibility and accessibility. Students can learn on their own time and work into their own schedule for whatever reasons, work, sports, hearing, visual, physical demands, anxiety.
      2. Creates strong independent skills.
      3. More affordable.
      4. Can provide more one on one time between teacher and student.

Such strong arguments! Much like our other arguments all controversial and dependent on the situation.

I can definitely see benefits to both sides! I feel grateful to be living in a time where we have access to all these options and can choose to make choices that are a best fit for us!