“My Mind is Like My Internet Browser…” Productivity and Presentation

October 15, 2022 Off By Kimberly Kipp

If you’ve ever come across the well-known internet adage –

“My mind is like my web browser: 19 tabs are open, 3 of them are frozen, and I have no idea where the music is coming from.”  (Anonymous)

– I’m confident the author was describing me. Regardless, it seemed an apt quotation for our debate questioning the internet as a productive friend or distracting foe.

One of the suggested readings – Online Presentation Creation Tools. (2014) – outlined the merits of Prezi. Despite my dislike for Prezi’s dizzying presentation features, it seemed a suitable representation of the distracting spectacle we once called the World Wide Web.

Points to Ponder Section can be found below the video. Please drop me a line and tell me your take on digital distractions, multitasking, and productivity tips.

Some Resources From the Video

My Final Thoughts…(for now)

As I watched the assigned video, I was bombarded with texts, emails, browser tabs, and the full digital arsenal of our modern world. Was it distracting? Certainly! Do I often long to disconnect in a far-away wilderness cabin? There’s no doubt. Was I able to multitask in a sea of multitaskers? No, as the term is deceptive. There are no multitaskers, only people who have successfully or distractedly learned to switch their concentrative powers at a fatiguing pace. Despite these electronic hiccups, presentation and productivity tools – like those presented on Tuesday – demonstrate an array of creative and collaborative possibilities. The internet is far more nuanced than simply being our friend or foe, and as educators, it should be our goal to teach students awareness and proper application.

Points to Ponder

• When researching/preparing your blog post, how often were you interrupted by outside digital distractions?
  • If you completed the multitasking exercise (in the above-shared youtube link), how did you do? Can you actually multitask?
  • If you’ve been teaching for an extended period of time, do you notice increased student distractibility?
  • How do you manage your own productivity online? What are your favourite apps/extensions to use for yourself and/or your students?