Blog Posts

What Kind of Citizen?

From my K-12 schooling examples of citizenship included personally responsible citizen majority of the time. Looking back on my elementary/high school days, I can remember teachers and other authority figures teach us the importance of responsibility within our community. We were always encouraged to be the best person we could be and have respect towards everyone. Taking part in volunteer experiences was also encouraged, especially in all of high school where it was required for a class. This approach allowed students to learn responsibility and become respectful towards the community. With this being taught, we learned how to take part in our community and to be involved whenever we can. We were taught to help people when in need and to show others how we were taught. The approach we take to citizen instruction for students promotes them with who we as teachers want them to become in the future. Building students’ ability to become responsible at a young age lets them carry that strength with them as they grow older. Producing citizens who are responsible, participatory, and justice-oriented or one of each makes for a successful citizen.

https://democraticdialogue.com/DDpdfs/WhatKindOfCitizenAERJ.pdf