Blog Post #7

February 24, 2020 0 By Stephanie Voss

To whom it may concern

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to reach out to me about your concerns about the challenges of incorporating treaty education into your lessons. As a preservice teacher it can be intimidating to voice concerns to your cooperating teacher, but it is also not okay that your class is making jokes and racist comments about the first nation culture when trying to teach your lessons. As we live on treaty 4 land, we are all treaty people whether we belong to an indigenous culture or not and it is important that your students understand this. 

In terms of strategies to help engage your class, I recommend getting in touch with an Elder or knowledge keeper in your area and having a conversation with them. Ask if they would come into your classroom as a guest speaker to talk to your students about the importance of teaching treaty education in schools. Try to plan a field trip that allows student to experience Indigenous culture. When I was in grade 12, my Native Studies 30 class went on a field trip to a nearby reserve to watch a performance. This was an amazing opportunity to build connections with students from this reserve, as well as an eye-opening experience that I will never forget. Although the reactions from your students and coworkers may be off putting, I encourage you to continue working hard to incorporate treaty education and indigenous ways of knowing into your teaching. Teachers like you are creating change for the better!

Some resources you may find helpful…

Best of luck with the rest of your pre-internship!

Stephanie Voss