Blog Post #9

March 14, 2020 1 By Stephanie Voss

After reading the assigned chapter, it is evident that I see the world through a certain lens, based on the way I was brought up. As well as my upbringing, many other factors dictate how I see the world such as my race and my gender. The views and experiences that I have from being a white female will undoubtably impact the way I teach. I think having this awareness is beneficial in order to critically examine my pedagogical methods to ensure they are free of bias. I think this is something that I will have to continue working on my entire teaching career. Kumashiro explained that “We would discuss the unpredicted and evolving ways that racism and White-privilege play out in our daily lives, and the implication that, as White teachers, the work of interrupting one’s own privileges is never done” (77). It will definitely take consistent effort to get to know my future students well enough to be able to help them examine the lenses that they are seeing the world through, and encourage them to think critically about what these lenses mean for their beliefs and values. This is a difficult goal to work towards, but I know that for myself, and for my future students, it is worth it.

Kumashiro, Kevin K.. Against Common Sense : Teaching and Learning Toward Social Justice, Routledge, 2009. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uregina/detail.action?docID=446587.