Back to The Basics Round 2

October 6, 2023 1 By Stephanie Voss

This week was all about learning numbers 1-10 in ASL. I found the finger placements easier this week, but still found it difficult to put all of the numbers together quickly. I used Tik Tok as my new app this week. Although I LOVE scrolling Tik Tok, I have never taken the time to create a video of my own. It always seemed quite daunting, but I actually found it quite easy! I am going to explain the steps for creating your own Tik Tok.

1. Decide if you want to use a pre-made sound (often music clips) or your own voice over. If you chose to use a sound, make sure you add it to your favourites for easy access. I chose to use a sound of somebody counting aloud, as I was showing the numbers in sign language.
  2.  Next, click on the “plus” button at the bottom of your screen. This will make your camera open up to begin filming your TikTok.
  3. Next, you can click on the icon at the top that says “add sound” and choose one from your favourites.
  4. Once you have a sound picked out, you can choose the length of time you want you video to be. I chose 15 seconds, but ended up cutting the video around 11 seconds.
  5. Once you have set an amount of time for your video, you can press the circle at the bottom of the screen and start recording. Good luck!

Here is the link to my first TikTok. I uploaded the video to Youtube as the TikTok was too large to post to my blog. I found using TikTok to be a really neat way to demonstrate my learning. I am definitely going to create more TikTok videos in the future!

Using TikTok for The SAMR Model – how can this technology improve the way we learn?

Substitution – TikTok can be used as a substitution for class presentations. Instead of presenting in front of the class for a mark, students can record a short video and send it to their teacher for assessment.

Augmentation – Students could use the effects on TikTok to add background music, closed captioning, and filters to their presentation.

Modification – Students could view each other’s presentations on TikTok and provide constructive feedback in the comments.

Redefinition – With some help arranging from the classroom teacher, students could connect with students from another school on TikTok who are learning similar outcomes, and learn from each other virtually.

I personally have not seen TikTok used in the classroom. My guess is this is because of the controversy associated with the safety of the app. I think this would definitely be for use in high school classrooms only. As most students are very familiar with this app, I bet they could create great videos to pose questions and showcase their learning, if done in a safe manner with the proper privacy settings. Using TikTok could also be a good way to teach qualities of good digital citizenship.

What do you think about using TikTok in a high school classroom? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

~Stephanie