• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Namaste

As the semester comes to an end that means my yoga learning project does as well. I loved this project and had such a great time working on my physical and mental health. I was able to notice the many benefits of yoga and how it positively impacted my life. Going beyond learning yoga, this project has taught me how to seek out online learning resources, given me the opportunity to try out various new content creation tools, provided me the confidence to post videos and pictures of myself, and taught me how to be present in each moment. This blog post is dedicated to highlighting what I learned, what…

• EDTC 300

Summary of Learning

Here is my first time creating a whiteboard animation style video using Video Scribe! It was a little frustrating as I ran into a few problems but I still had fun creating it, check it out! I used the free trial so don’t mind the watermark on the background… I wish it told me that before I finished making my video lol. Here’s my script is anyone is interested: Hi, I’m Alex. Welcome to my Summary of Learning in EdTech 300. When I signed up for this course, I did not realize Katia would blow my mind. I learned about the use of technology and media in teaching and learning…

• EDTC 300

My Contributions to Others’ Learning

This semester I have been given the task to build my Professional Learning Network. Through Twitter, Slack, blogging, and commenting on my classmates blogs I have worked hard at making sure I have contributed to the learning of others while trying to do my own learning. This blog post is dedicated to highlighting how I have contributed to the learning of others in my EDTC 300 class. Twitter Twitter was the place I was by far the most active. I went from not tweeting since 2018 on my personal account to tweeting over two times a day on my new professional twitter account. I was so surprised with how resourceful…

• EDTC 300

Coding dance party

Who knew I would become so great at technology? Did you read my certificate?? It says: “For successful completion of The hour of code and demonstrating an understanding of the basic concepts of Computer Science” So yeah, I’m basically a computer scientist now, no big deal. To be completely honest, whenever coding was brought up in conversation I had the idea that it was way too advanced and over my head so I never was interested in learning more about it. In her article, Bonfiglio simply describes coding as communicating with a computer. Why would I need to do this exactly? Unlike me, computer geniuses use coding to create things…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

YogaTok

For this week’s learning project I wanted to see if I could learn yoga from TikTok. I have a lot of classmates that have hyped up TikTok and how they are able to learn so many different things from it so I thought I should give it a shot. I was an avid Vine user when that was the “cool” app and was heart broken when it died? (Does anyone actually know what happened to vine?) Once TikTok became a thing I resisted the urge to download it because 1. I thought I was too old for it and 2. I didn’t want to download another app that would have…

• EDTC 300

Fake news

In EDTC 300, I have learned the importance of integrating technology into the classroom to not only improve teaching instruction, but to enhance the traditional ways of teaching and to better engage students with their learning. With the integration of technology, students must be taught how to take ownership of their digital lives. Not only is it crucial to teach digital citizenship and it’s nine elements, but it’s necessary we teach students to “approach news and information with a critical eye in order to identify intentionally misleading sources” (Couros & Hildebrandt, 2018, para 2). Like it was said in Damon Brown’s video, today the amount of information is limitless and…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Fitness+ +

This is the most accurate representation of myself after using Fitness+ to help with my yoga learning project. Fitness+ is a game changer! Because my sister and I share each others Apple watch fitness information, she sent me a yoga workout she completed and recommended for me to try out using the fitness+ option within the Fitness app (for those who don’t have an apple watch, sharing our information means you can see how active each individual is being as it shows how many calories you are burning, along with how long you have worked out or stood up throughout the day. It also shows any workouts that you have…

• EDTC 300

Cyber Sleuthin’

This week I had the task of cyber sleuthing my classmate Shana Blenkin. I was looking forward to this opportunity because I love to “creep” people on social media to learn more about them. I often joke I could be an FBI agent because of how good I am with finding information about people. Before I even began my investigation on Shana, she talked to me about the anxiety she was feeling about this activity. She told me how the night we were assigned this task she spent hours going through her social media to get rid of all the “inappropriate things” I might find. She also talked about how…

• EDTC 300

Two lives? Or one?

Recently, the debate of whether we should teach our students as if they have two lives or one has been challenging me. Since technology and the internet have advanced, the digital world and the physical world being two separate things has been the norm. Nathan Jurgenson (2012) labeled the phenomenon of viewing the digital world being “virtual” and the physical world being “real” as “Digital Dualism.” Before thinking deeper about these concepts, it makes sense, right? You have your online presence through social media, and you also have your life outside of what you post on the internet. However, Jurgenson made me realize that both worlds are meshed together, forming an “augmented…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Acro… oh no!

With both the twitter and the crowd signal polls, we have a winner… ACRO YOGA! First off, I’d like to start by giving a thank you shout out to my voters this week! You guys are the best! To be completely honest, I was a little worried this would happen. The biggest challenge I was worried about facing with this type of yoga was having to convince my partner to perform acro yoga with me. Luckily, he said yes! (I may have used a little bit of a guilt trip because it’s for school) But we actually had SO much fun! I found a great resource this week and was…