I have grown up in an era that has seen technology evolve dramatically over time. My first phone was a Nokia and for anyone around my age and older, you probably remember that style of phone. Basic texting and calling, it is truly amazing to think about how far technology has come over the years. In saying that, how do I use it in my day to day life?

These are the applications that take up majority of my day to day screen time.

In all honesty, it is a fairly good balance between academics, hockey/life, & social interaction.

Broken down from most used to barely used:

Obviously the standard texting is a huge one as well but in terms of socials,

1. Instagram – Teaching resources, hockey drills, motivational speakers, sports updates, social interaction
  2. X – Teaching resources, hockey drills, motivational speakers, sports updates
  3. Facebook – Communication with personal trainer
  4. Snapchat – Social interaction
  5. BeReal – Social interaction
  6. Messenger – Fantasy Sports chats
  7. WhatsApp – Fantasy Sports chats
  8. Youtube – Teaching resources, hockey drills
  9. VSCO – barely use, can and should delete

(talking to my girlfriend is the main social interaction, this is year 7 of long distance so social media has allowed us to stay extremely close over the years)

NOW

You may be thinking, WOW! you have a ton of socials. Yes, but I have found a really great way to manage them & use them effectively for academics, teaching, coaching, interacting, and life things in general. Although I have a great balance now, it wasnt always smooth sailing. The best thing I ever did was get rid of tiktok about 2 years ago, I ended up doing this and doing a clean sweep of my socials after watching The Social Dilemma on Netflix, I have attached the preview, if you have not watched it, I strongly suggest it!

Since then I have set timers on applications to ensure I am not spending to much time on each platform throughout the day, I think it is a really useful setting on smart phones, just 1 strategy I have that seems to work well for me.

Managing Screen Time is huge in day to day life!!!