EDTC300 Learning Project

Yogis In Training: Post #6

Hey everyone, I can come to you with good news this week! I completed four 10 minute sessions of Yoga at the gym and one at home! I am here to tell you that…… *drum roll please*……I can definitely notice some new improvements. This week, I became aware of the noticeable improvement in my hamstrings’ flexibility. I used to feel like I was going to pull a hamstring in practically every posture, but this week my legs must have loosened up! I also became aware of the differences in flexibility throughout my neck and shoulders. As I’ve previously mentioned, I have a fairly stiff neck and a less flexible left shoulder compared to the other. I usually have an issue when I raise my left arm over my head or do the the Child’s Pose, but this week, I had absolutely no discomfort or stiffness in my left arm! Even though these may seem like small bits of progress, they are changes that I notice now every time I do poses targeted to these areas.

I was also able to incorporate 5 minutes of yoga at my Before and After School Program with the kids!  Although this took some convincing on my part, their ended up being so many laughs and smiles… and even some kids saying “that was better than I thought”. I took that as a win in my books LOL. This all began when a few kids pointed out that in past years, they had done some yoga sessions as “brain breaks” in some of their classes. Since I was curious in what they had learned or done, I decided to listen to their thoughts, and share some of the knowledge I had been gaining from my own research. This involved answering their questions into the history of Yoga as well as its different levels of difficulty. After responding to several questions, I had some kids show the various yoga positions they familiar with. I must admit that I was quite impressed by their attempts and surprisingly considerable amount of flexibility. I later, played this Super Mario Yoga YouTube Video and the kids were very excited (Who doesn’t like Mario)! Even though it was February and the video was Super Mario Christmas themed, they still enjoyed it and hope for more in the future. One thing I can say, is that people need to make more kids Yoga videos. I could not believe that the only one I could find that was FUN, was Christmas themed LOL.