Field Experience

My ECS 101 field placement took place at Seven Stones Community School. This placement lasted four days (all Tuesdays) and included visits to several different classrooms. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend and participate in a variety of classes, as well as observe students of various ages and grades (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8).

Even though I had no idea what to expect at first, I quickly became comfortable in the classroom setting. Once I became more confident with students and teachers, I realized how important it was to get to know the students, and how meaningful relationships between students and teachers were. I often saw that students were more involved and interactive in their classrooms when the teachers made an effort to connect with them. I took away many teaching strategies, as well as how to appropriately handle situations using proper terms, language, and techniques that are helpful and dependent on the circumstance.

This has been a positive experience that has allowed me to learn about how school communities apply inclusiveness, diversity, and a variety of teaching styles in their classrooms. This experience has broadened my horizons and prompted me to reflect on the type of teacher I want to be!