EDTC300 Learning Project

Yoga Beats: Post #9

Hey everyone! So, this week I tried out a different approach for my Learning Project. It all started when I was watching that short documentary last week and paid attention to the music they used. It got me thinking about the music I’ve been playing during my yoga sessions. Turns out, I have been listening to my workout playlist, which is basically all rap—definitely not the right vibe for yoga LOL. All this time, I have been listening to the same playlist and never even considered making a Yoga playlist? What was I doing? I quickly realized this playlist was probably a major distraction for me and killed any focus I had. So, I decided to put together my own yoga playlist this week. I only picked 10 songs because I do my daily Yoga anywhere from 10-30 minutes a day, and I wanted each song to really fit the vibe. I didn’t ust grab any song—I looked for ones that were calming, soothing, and didn’t bore me to death. But let me tell you, it was NOT easy finding the right ones. A lot of songs just didn’t click with me or sounded the same… like I was in water or in a field in the middle of nowhere.

After seeking for help when creating my playlist, I came across some great tips on Yogi Kali’s Blog.  Kali suggested “starting and ending the playlist with calm, soothing tunes, then throwing in some more upbeat songs in the middle to keep you going”. So, that’s exactly what I did. I kicked things off with slow, controlled songs, added some with lyrics in the middle, like “Slow Hands,” “Sweet Creature,”and “Free Spirit,” and wrapped it up with more instrumental beats. Something interesting I learned from Kali’s blog, that I did not know before, was that y0u can listen to songs with lyrics, as  long as it doesn’t “impede your capacity to breathe and listen to your body”. Before reading Kali’s blog, I was under the impression that listening to songs with lyrics took away from the experience. Not only because it has lyrics, but because every Yoga video I have watched has only had instrumental  or nature sounds. Now that I know this, it makes me feel a little bit better about my Yoga rap experience… however, now I will be set on creating a bigger and better Yoga playlist!

One Comment

• Karley Van De Sype

Hey Maya,

A good playlist can make all the difference. I only have a few playlists, but you better believe each one is especially curated to me. I different playlists for different moods or activities. One that I have been enjoying this semester is my instrumental playlist. Typically, I would be bored, but you just have to find the instrumental versions of songs you really enjoy. I use this playlist when I am reading or studying.

Thanks for sharing,
    Karley