EDTC300 Learning Project

Beyond the Mat: Post #8

So, this week I decided to mix things up and approach a new way to learn about Yoga! Lately, as I’ve been getting better at my practice, I’ve realized there’s not much new to update you guys on, just the usual progress (sometimes I wish I chose a project that involved more learning!). That’s why I thought I’d switch gears a bit, and try a new form of media to learn from. Don’t laugh, but I got into watching this really interesting documentary. I know, a documentary might not sound like the most exciting thing, but hear me out. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve loved relaxing and learning from all kinds of documentaries with my mom. We have watched so many… anything from animals, to crime to even different historical or present events.  When watching these, its like a more fun way to learn new information, with no worries or frustration. As I’ve grown older, my mom and I still watch documentaries occasionally, but this time she proposed watching one, especially after we chatted about my progress in Yoga. Something I took away from the film was that “yoga is much more than spiritual gymnastics. The goal is freedom”. They explain Yoga as a state you experience, rather than a simple practice. I also discovered that the Yoga experience has two aspects: internal and external forms. Both are accessible to everyone, but the internal side dives deeper into spiritual and religious elements, which I think many people overlook when practicing Yoga. Something that caught my interest, was the explanation of the term “Yogi.” I recently used this term in one of my blog titles, thinking it simply referred to anyone who practices Yoga. However, in its place of origin, India, “Yogi” signifies someone fully devoted to Yoga, with strong internal beliefs. This information from the video intrigued me because it helped me appreciate the deeper spiritual dimension of Yoga, which is a lot deeper than I thought!

This quick 26-minute documentary is perfect for anyone who wants to relax while learning about Yoga and life’s bigger questions. I was surprised by how much this film resonated with me, giving me a whole new appreciation for Yoga and where it came from. I think everyone should check out a documentary related to whatever they’re learning about, its an expansion deeper into what you have already learned!

Attached is the documentary I watched: