Language Profile

After doing some research on the language policy in Canada, I feel that the events occurring in the First World War may have also influenced my great-grandpa’s language loss. I have discovered that “during the First World War, anti-German hysteria erupted in Canada” (Troper, 2021). Since my great-grandpa spoke German, this resentment towards Germans in Canada possibly influenced him to abandon German to fit in. Additionally, the video, The Language of Empire, mentioned that English is known to be the global language now (Films Media Group, 2003). This is easy to believe because it seems that anywhere one might travel to, there are always some individuals familiar with English. I feel that when my great-grandpa immigrated to Canada, the influence of the English language was being portrayed and influenced onto newcomers, and made German seem inferior. Along with societal pressure to speak English, the influence of the educational language policy also played a large role. It was noted that “in Saskatchewan, after it entered Confederation in 1905, English became the sole language of instruction” (Mackey, 2010, p. 52). Additionally, “Saskatchewan’s English-only policy was re-enacted by Anderson’s government in 1929 and again in 1931” (Mackey, 2010, p. 52). These influences through the educational system in Saskatchewan also influenced my great-grandpa’s language loss. Since there were policies created that only English would be taught in schools, my great-grandpa faced no choice but to abandon German 

Additionally, it was noted that “many immigrants were prepared to assimilate to English” (Denis, 2006, p. 90). The text continues that immigrants “who wanted to maintain their language and culture were subjected to restrictive legislation” (Denis, 2006, p. 90). Knowing this information, I can understand why my great-grandpa’s family chose to learn English. If they had continued to speak German, they would face both discrimination and assimilation under the legislation. Since my great-grandpa’s family moved to Canada in hopes of a better life, I can see why they chose to speak English. Most likely, they wanted to immigrate to Canada with the least amount of problems, especially coming from a problematic country at the time. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7