My Teaching Philosophy

In the future, I plan to teach grade one, therefore my philosophy will be developed around this age level. My teaching philosophy aligns with the same beliefs that John Dewey and Maria Montessori had. Both of these individuals believed that education should be alongside the interests of students and involve the application of life scenarios in the classroom, while also fostering relationships in the classroom and community (Williams, 2017, p. 100).

While ensuring that curriculum guidelines are met in my classroom, my teaching will extend beyond this. Each of my lesson plans will aim towards meeting curriculum requirements, but also creating an intriguing atmosphere. By doing this, the attention of my students will be attained and they will be more interested in the material. Additionally, my plans will involve educating students on life skills that could be used in an everyday scenario. 

Lesson plans are helpful in an organized classroom, but they tend to be quite product-based at times. I plan to allow time for my students to do process-based learning instead of only focusing on product-based learning. This allows my students to be creative in their learning by investigating their own thoughts and ideas. When I use a lesson plan, I will extend beyond the original plan and allow for my students to further develop. 

I understand that students might be compelled to participate in the classroom if their interests are incorporated. Therefore, I will foster a learner-centred approach. This will allow for lessons to incorporate student interests. I will also provide links, books, and projects for the students to gain knowledge on their own or in a group setting. This approach is important because the student is able to learn about topics that appeal to them, rather than only learning the required outcomes from my perspective. 

While I do agree that there is a benefit to testing a student, this testing should be based on improvement rather than strictly knowledge-based. When assessing, I will mark based on their improvement in a subject since the beginning of the school year or unit. This approach allows me to understand where a student might need extra assistance. As well, it is personalized for each student’s abilities, making it non-standardized. I will choose assessments that are done in a group or free time setting to minimize pressure on the student to succeed. For students that may not speak English as a first language, I will ensure that the assessment can be refined to make it easier for these students to comprehend. This lessens the language barrier that may prevent a student from participating. 

Students learn in several different ways and often benefit from flexible seating. I believe that including different seating arrangements will benefit the students. For example, there will be tables that are lower and higher along with different types of chairs. Every two weeks, the students will choose the new spot that they would like to sit. I will also provide tables at a normal height with regular chairs for the students that may prefer this type of seating. 

I plan to have specific areas for students to place their work. For example, any worksheets that still need to be finished will be placed in a labelled folder. Additionally, organizing my own workspace is crucial. I will ensure that worksheets are printed in advance and placed in a designated spot based on the day of the week. The classroom schedule will be made weekly and allow room for changes. On the walls, there will be the alphabet, a world map, numbers one to ten, and classroom rules. The colour of these posters will be a pastel shade to ensure that there is colour in the room, but that the colour is not overwhelming for any students. 

I plan to foster positive relationships in my classroom. Through this relationship, my students will feel comfortable talking to me about any issues that they might be facing. A positive relationship also extends to the students and how they interact with each other.  This will create both a welcoming and safe space for anyone who is in my classroom. 

Reference

Williams, M. K. (2017). John Dewey in the 21st Century. Journal of Inquiry & Action in  Education, 9(1), 91-102. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1158258.pdf.