Language Profile

Link to Google document for complete language profile: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o09v0KX0Qn5S4XN1zPGusAKXWsZ1sV0LO023E7iCITM/edit?usp=sharing

NOTE: I have included the language profile assignment as both a link to a Google document as well as the entire text pasted into my blog.

When looking at my language profile, I feel that my linguistics is limited. I have grown up fluently speaking, reading, writing, and understanding the English language. However, I have barely been exposed to education in other languages. In elementary school, there was a small focus on the French language. These classes were based on writing, speaking, and reading rather than learning to understand the language. I was mainly taught the accents and order of letters to write words out. After writing a word, the teacher would say it out loud before moving on. Although I learned how to write basic French words, I was unsure of what it truly meant and how to apply it to a conversation. Based on these experiences in elementary school, I was constantly confused and decided to not further my knowledge in high school. In my first year of university, I decided to take French 100 as an elective. Even though I was older now, I still had a hard time understanding. Given this experience, I can make the statement that I am only fluent in the English language and would consider myself to be monolingual. 

I feel that the overall reason as to why my language profile only consists of English was influenced by my neighbourhood. As mentioned in my linguistic landscape, I have grown up in the Twin lakes community. Within this community, I have rarely been introduced to other languages. The common ground in Twin Lakes between the residents is the English language. Since the majority of my classmates or coworkers speak English in public, I have rarely been exposed to other languages. Additionally, I have always attended an English-speaking school which also influenced the diversity in the school. 

I constantly use English in both public and private settings. Since English is common within my neighbourhood, I do not feel pressure to not be speaking it. When I am in public, those around me tend to speak English, and therefore it makes communication simple. All of my close contacts only speak the English language, so I do not feel pressure to not speak it in a private setting. If the roles were reversed and I spoke another language that was not considered to be the norm, I may feel pressure to either only speak English or not speak at all. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7