Changing Standards

Changing Standards

During my teenager period, I have fallen in love with Queen band’s music and I am still a huge fan of them. The first time when I heard about Freddie Mercury’s sexuality choice, I was mad, but after a while I have accepted this aspect and I have stopped judging.

I remember that, somewhere in 1990, when I was around 16 years old, I have heard on TV in one commercial “We Will Rock you” song as background and I started to research to find who is singing. I found out that it is the Queen band. I did not know to much about them, but I have started to like their music, especially “Show must go on” one of their hits of the moment. Suddenly, I found out that Freddie Mercury has pasted away and someone told me that he was gay. I was raised Christian where this aspect is not accepted. I must confess that I did not know what means that. After I have understood what it is, suddenly, a storm of feeling came inside of me: anger, hate, disapproval. I quitted listening to their music for a while. Although, in April 1992, the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert was wide advertised, and I was curious to see and listen. I saw that great artists such as Elton John, David Bowie, George Michael are performing as nice as Freddie. Also, I found that other celebrities or ordinary people from all over the world and from different areas are gay. I was thinking of what is more considerable their sexuality choice or their creation. In the end, freedom has a broad meaning and everyone choice about living life is part of it. It has not affected me, and it is not a problem for me if someone is gay or not. I am valuing the intellectual and spiritual side of a person. More precisely, if someone has a positive thinking and a positive attitude then I appreciate that.  

Since then, I can say that artists and an arts event have changed my view about someone’s sexuality choice and the way of watching about how everyone is living his or her life.