First time code user!!

For my blog post this week I have decided to learn how to work with Hour of Code. At first it seemed like an impossible task since I am not very tech savvy. But I then reminded myself why I am in the course. I chose to take this course so that I could  learn more about using technology in and for my future classroom.

I started off with clicking Grades 2-5 and playing “Rodocodo. After deciding the game I wanted to try I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing was correct. I started reading the instructions under “Teacher Resources”. I found this extremely useful in not only being successful at this game but it also showed me how to teach it to future students.

After feeling more confident I moved onto the game. The game took me step by step in completing each level which I found useful. In the beginning I was instructed to move the payer with only certain commands. It became more complicated as things were added. For example turning the player left and right became involved as well as adding function and repeating moves. There became “problems” in the code where I would have to create different ways to get my player past without falling or missing different movements. The game involved a lot of critical thinking. When I was at the beginner level of 53/60 I didn’t think I could do it. I became frustrated and almost gave up. However, this game became addicting and I had to complete it!

I think this game would challenge studies in a classroom. However, I can see children getting frustrated while playing it. I think before introducing it to a classroom make sure all students know that it is only a game and everyone can be at different levels in the game. Creating a fun yet healthy challenge in the classroom can promote positive sportsmanship. In addition this can also integrate into other classes and activities. Another idea is to give students a “brain break” and allow them to play a game of coding. Overall I enjoyed learning how to code, it pushed me out of my comfort zoom of doing something that I have never done before. I would definitely use this in a classroom and would encourage others to also use it!