As my spring semester comes to an end, so does EDTC 300 and my learning project. Looking back on the last few weeks I realize I have come a long way since the beginning. To some it may not seem like much, but gaining the patience to figure out the measurements for the backing of my signs was a big struggle for me. I know that this is still something I will have to work on as I continue making and then hopefully selling when I’m confident!
Each week in the learning project was not only an opportunity to learn something new with my project but also with myself. Here is a recap of my learning project;
Week one – Am I doing this DIY Right?
- Decided I’m going to learn more about making frames to hopefully sell one day
- I took a chance and bought some new tools, this being a brad air nailer as well as a used mitre saw.
- Asked my husband if he could help me figure out my speed and depth of the nailer as it intimidated me a bit.
- Used Pinterest (https://lollyjane.com/how-to-frame-a-canvas/) for some tips and tricks
Week two – Try, Try, Try again
Week two was completing my Mother’s Day signs and having a few mix ups with that but still rolling with the punches. This week also taught me to not worry so much about the mistakes as I am still learning and I will still make them down the road
Week 3 – Thankful for Canva
This week I found an app that would work for me for editing my pictures when it’s time to sell them. I also learned that I could make a logo with the app if I chose to do so!
- Did a trial and error on many apps
- Learned about Canva
- Designed a possible logo *insert pictures*
- Made a comparison in Canva of my first and third frame to remind myself how far I’ve come *insert picture*
Week 4 – Just Keep Pushing Through
This week wasn’t much of a creative week for me. I cleaned my work space so that I could have a clear mind and space for when I began working on my frame! I did learn a few things though;
- A clear space = a clear mind
- I’m not as messy as I thought
- Just because I had a creative funk, doesn’t mean I won’t start again
Week 5 – The Hinge Method
This week I learned a new technique for when I put the writing on my new frame I was planning to make. I used these tips and tricks while finishing up my sign and I think it worked pretty well, check out the pictures in my last post (*link) to see how it turned out! What I thought about while reading and learning about this technique;
- What works for her may not work for me
- It doesn’t hurt to try in case it becomes a good method
- Just because it says to use transfer tape you don’t have to and can use painters’ tape instead; this is also way cheaper!
Week 6 – Today I Struggled to Make a Frame
I think out of all the learning I did up to this week, this one was by far the most enjoyable one I’ve done! Although I struggled and made some mistakes, I was able to laugh at myself along the way and that’s all that matters
- Found a video for setting up my Ryobi for when I forget
- Found an article for how to size my frames and backing easier
- Used my mitre saw for the second time!
- Finally finished a frame that I’m so proud of
Week 7 – The Final Touch
This learning project has come to an end but I have learned so much from just a short time! I am glad I chose the DIY framing and Cricut combo as this is something I have always been interested in learning more about but I have just never had an opportunity to just sit down and learn. This final post is what my frame looks like with the quote on it! Although still not perfect, I am still happy with the results and I cannot wait to continue to make more as time goes on! With putting all my tips and tricks together here is my finally project. I now know as you might notice from the video that I struggled with the Hinge Method and soon realized it was either not for me or it was just an awkward size of frame and I couldn’t deal with it correctly. Either way I will try again for my next project and see how that goes.
- Used the Hinge Method https://www.agirlandagluegun.com/2017/10/use-transfer-tape-vinyl.html)
- Used the tips and tricks from previous posts
I had taken a video of me doing the hinge method but the video was not uploading regardless of what I did or it was going to take way too long. So here are some snap shots from the video of me attempting the hinge method. Like I said above, I am not sure if it was how I was doing it, I just need more practice or that it just simply isn’t the way I should go, but I struggled with it more than I expected.
All in all my sing turned out good I believe although there are some flaws but that is to be expected and I cannot wait to continue my crafting journey and learn from my mistakes as I go!
Here is the finished product! 🙂