EDTC 300

This Extension Will Be a Screen Changer

https://www.talkhelper.com/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/screencastify-1024×410.jpg

Today on my blog I want to talk about Screencastify. This is a Google Chrome extension that I currently have on my Microsoft Edge web browser. This extension allows one to screen record a specific window, browser tab, or your webcam. When one is trying to deliver specific instruction on how to navigate online tools to students, the teacher can screen record so that students can better visually understand how to navigate online. Screencastify immediately records what is going on within the user’s computer on the screen. I utilized Screencastify in order to edit a video I filmed of my toddler dancing for my learning project for EDTC 300. I also screen recorded the dance video I utilized my MihranTV on Youtube, and show the process of editing the video once one has completed screen recording and casting. The extension will be located at the top of your browser o the right once downloaded. There will be a puzzle icon representing the extensions you currently have. You can find Screencastify and then click the eye icon in order to reveal the Screencastify extension visibly on your web browser screen. Now all you have to do is click the ScreenCastify icon, select a web browser, window, or webcam option, and click record. Then one can stop screen recording at any point, which then it will take you to the video editor window with Screencastify. Here is a video of me editing on Screencastify: https://watch.screencastify.com/v/mlNYJ1OblS3JQ8rzOltg. I also want to add MihranTV Hip-hop dance lesson video for Toddlers in case you want to utilize that specific video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWTyO8npkOQ. If you would like to learn more about the learning project dance video and my personal review, then head over to my other post “Hip-Hoppin into the weekend (toddler edition). Overall ScreenCastify can be a really easy way to screen record and can be a useful tool for teachers.

Lastly, i just want to touch on the SAMR model. I will place a picture in this post. This type of tool i think would land on the modification scale as it would complete remove in-person instruction time, and could be sent to student’s emails, where they could watch the video in order to navigate the online resources and teacher instruction. Here is the SAMR model:

https://theowlteacher.com/all-about-the-samr-model/

Cheers!

My name is Jorden Robitaille and I am currently in the Faculty of Education at the University of Regina studying to teach secondary education. I am a wife and a mother of two under the age of two. I reside in a little Saskatchewan village called Caronport. As you explore my e-portfolio it is my hope that you will learn more about the journey that lead me to pursue a career in teaching, that I can share my experiences, development, and achievements in my academic pre-service studies, and a ongoing source to update those that would enjoy following along in my future active teaching profession.

• Emma Robertson

Hi, Jorden! Thank you for sharing and reviewing Screencastify. I have added putting this extension on my browser to my to do list. This is definitely an amazing tool that is beneficial in today’s society where online classes and learning are very common. I particularly like that you can blur or crop out parts of the screen that are not necessary to be seen by students; this would help them focus on the actual content and relevant information in the video. Further, I agree that this model fits into the modification scale in the SAMR model because as you said, it redefines how you can teach.

• Sunaina batra

Hi Jorden, I really like the way you have integrated the uses of chrome extension and SAMR model into your blog post. I might start using this extension myself.

• Jean-Paul Kamdem

Hello Jorden,

I have also used Screencastify for my learning project. With Screencastify, it is easy to record, edit, and share videos of your computer screen. Recordings can easily be shared via email, embedding code, YouTube, Google Classroom, and more. By the way, did you used it for your learning project too?. Hope to read you soon!