Treaty 4 Statement

Treaty 4 to me is an agreement, but deeper than that it is a relationship, specifically a partnership. This agreement was an everlasting promise, a covenant, between the Crown and First Nations people, the lands of the Cree, the Salteaux, Dakota, Nakota, Lakota, and the homeland of the Metis Nation. As a visitor to this land, I see beauty in the many colors of the setting sun on these flatlands, and the glow of the evening moon on the snowy prairies. The coyote’s howl competes with the blaring horns of the CP rail train, a reminder of the treaties that were made and the harms that were done to indigenous peoples, specifically the First Nations. We are committed to reconciliation and partnership, and ultimately, we are all treaty people. As an educator, it is my responsibility to be educated on the matters of Canada’s history, and our treaties with First Nations. Treaty 4 reminds me of the powerful role that teachers have in educating this generation and the next to come on the atrocities of residential schools. It is a duty to reconcile and nurture safe learning environments, promoting reciprocity in the classroom and creating new ties with our indigenous brothers and sisters. We will continue to educate our students on the treaties, their relationships, spirit and intent, historical context, and treaties promises and intents to create a better future for all.