Contributing to Others in EDTC300: A Semester in Review!

June 18, 2021 0 By Ashley Peterman

In this class, I was constantly engaging with my classmates through Twitter, Discord, and our blogs. In this blog post, I will begin by talking about my contribution to the blogs.

Blogs Contributions

Each week, I ensured that I made anywhere from three to five comments on blogs. I actually ended up making a Google document to outline whose posts I have commented on each week. This Google document shows the dates of when I commented on blog posts. As well, I have listed my classmate’s name and the blog post title for each comment. Some of my comments made will be uploaded onto this document while others will be shown in the photos below.

As you can see, I have contributed to the learning of my peers through their blogs the entire semester. With the learning project posts, I would post encouraging things, congratulate them on achievements, and/or wish them luck in the future.

Along with commenting on posts, I even related one of my blog posts back to one of my classmate’s blog posts. My ASL blog post related back to Mingyeong Kim’s post. In her post, she talked about using Filmmaker Pro (and even included a tutorial). This tutorial was well put together and the video seemed to turn out great, so I decided to give Filmmaker Pro a try.

Discord Contributions

Through Discord, I have been able to communicate with my classmates at more of a personal level. When people would ask questions, I would do my very best to try and answer (if I knew the answer). When resources were shared, I would read these resources carefully and send a thoughtful message back. I have provided evidence below of my participation using Discord.

I feel like my participation on Discord was very relevant and thoughtful. My biggest challenge here was finding time to respond. Since I am working a lot right now, questions would often be asked when I am at work and nowhere near my laptop to find a response. However, I did my best to always respond to my classmates when a question was asked (if someone else hadn’t already answered it for them).

Twitter Contributions

Honestly, I loved using Twitter and having my own PLN this semester. Many of my classmates shared helpful, interesting, or fun articles that would benefit me as a teacher. Since I was not always able to respond on Discord, I made up for this by replying to Tweets more than what was expected. For example, I would reply to two or three Tweets in a day sometimes (instead of only one). I have added some screenshots below of my Twitter replies. Keep in mind here that I have not included all of the screenshots (because it would fill up a lot of space on this blog). If you would like to view all of the replies, please click here!

Summary

Overall, I have contributed to my classmates’ learning in several ways. I have helped answer their questions whenever able to and motivated them with learning projects. These three ways of communication paved the way for me to create and expand my PLN, which I am very grateful for. Due to these ways of interacting with my classmates, I am able to understand how networking works. I feel that although EDTC300 is over, I want to continue my networking with other pre-service and practicing teachers because it truly is a good resource to have! I am so thankful for this experience and the opportunity to grow my PLN. Here’s to a future of teaching and networking!