Group Digital Sleuthing Exercise

In EDTC 300, I have been learning about the importance of my online presence that the world can see and how to convey our life as educators on social media platforms. Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are Internet-based services that provide individuals a way to interact with each other online. Some organizations and workplaces may use your digital identity to assist in the hiring process as our digital identity can provide insight on your life. 

This week, I will attempt to look into a classmate’s digital Identity and be cybersleuthing. I will see if Cassie is classy or sassy online!

So, I started with a quick google search, Cassie with her last name, to see what I could find first fast. This is where I found her facebook account…I want to acknowledge Cassie’s choice of her privacy, she did not include her last name or any other information besides where she has lived and her current relationship.  I then looked at her boyfriend’s profile and found limited information there as well. Seeing who people interact with can assist in showing someone’s character. Cassie and her boyfriend both practice privacy and have a great digital identity on facebook. 

Overall Cassie is…classy along with:

C- Consistent and Conscious of her posting as her post are professional

A- Aware of current events and educational topics

S- Supportive of all people 

S- Strong sense morality 

I- Influential 

E- Educates others, including myself!

Digital space isn’t just for employers to learn more about who they may want to hire, social media may be a personal platform that many people may use differently. Different generations may use social media differently and may use similar and different apps. As future teachers, I believe teachers should be aware of our student’s activity in and out of the classroom. Social media may enhance the classroom and a teacher may have many great lessons. In Jon Ronson’s TED talk he discussed that social media gave a voice to the voiceless, but how that same platform could dismantle a life, “piece by piece” after only one online mistake. Unfortunately, what we put online may last a lifetime and I believe no one should have to suffer after one choice they have made. This is where teachers may address social media and the harm and dangers of social media and the internet. This may include the story of Amanda Todd. (Part One) 

Part Two

I believe if teachers model good digital citizenship, students may learn and follow similar practices.