The Wheel of…

Colour Schemes:

Even if you don’t consider yourself an artistic person (like me). I still believe you are able to develop a good scheme, because you’ve probably encountered situations where you’ve had to select colors for something. (For example, when you get dressed for the day or when you are decorating for a holiday.)

See the pictures below:

I learned about colour wheels in my Art 220 class
Learning about colour wheels

Complementary colors are any two colors opposite each other on the wheel. For example, blue and orange, or red and green.

Analogous colors are any three colors next to each other on the wheel. For example, orange, yellow-orange, and yellow.

Triadic colors are any three colors that are equally apart on the color wheel. For example, red, yellow and blue.

Split complementary colors use three colors. The scheme takes one color and matches it with the two colors adjacent to its complementary color. For example, blue, yellow-orange and red-orange.

Tetradic or double complementary colors uses four colors together, in the form of two sets of complementary colors. For example, blue and orange is paired with yellow and violet. 

Find more here.

1. Caitlin Kendall

Hey Carmel,
    Developing a good sense of colour scheme can be very useful to know for many things in life. Choosing your outfit for the day, decorating/designing your home, creating any type of art. All of these activities require some understanding of good colour schemes (if you want them to look good hah). I am really into makeup and specifically when doing fun and colourful eyeshadow looks, I incorporate this knowledge a lot! It is definitely something interesting to look into and also a great component to be included by teachers in art classes. Thanks for sharing!
    Caitlin

2. Pavel

Why did you stop posting?

1 Pingback

1. Contribution to the Learning of Others – Caitlin Kendall