Food Hampers

Food Hampers

Self-Story #3

I sit in a loud noisy classroom, next to my group of friends. We were talking about the Christmas dinner that the school puts on every year and how excited we were. “I can’t wait for the mashed potatoes,” my one friend said to me, which I agreed with her. When all of a sudden there was a “knock” on the door, but the classroom was still loud. Then a louder “knock, knock” happened and the classroom fall silent, and everyone looked at the door. Mr.Derksen walks over and opens the door and Janelle was standing there, which she is the president of SRC (the Student Representative Council)  she walked into the classroom to give an announcement to us. I knew exactly what the announcement was going to be about, as we do the same fundraisers every year to see who goes and eats first at the Christmas dinner. She begins to tell us what we are doing like always doing a coin drive and making food hampers with both will be donated to the local foodbank in Rosthern.

After Janelle left, we began to discuss what everyone is going to bring for the food hampers. Mr.Derksen begins to write out all the food items on the whiteboard, I knew exactly what I wanted to bring. He began to call out the items “six cans of vegetables” I put my hand up when he called that one out. Many hands went up when he called the item out, but there were some blank spots. I put my hand up to fill in the rest of the spots up, I felt like my class should make as many food hampers as we could. Even though some of my classmates only put their hand up for one item, it was better than nothing as some people may not be able to buy the items they got signed up for. I looked at the clock and class was about over, when I turned to my friends Ashely and Cassidy asked them “Hey, do you guys want to help me make a food hamper?” and they both said yes!

“Ring, Ring, Ring” the bell went. Ashley, Cassidy, and I went to our lockers, zipped up our winter coats, and headed out into the cold. we quickly run to my car and drove together to the grocery store in town. We went down each aisle getting each item we need to make a complete food hamper. I thought to myself, how privileged my family is not having to rely on food hampers. But being able to make them for the food bank during Christmas time is such a great experience.

One thought on “Food Hampers

1. Hey Kelsey,

Thank you for sharing your story.

You have written the story well as I was able to understand it in depth and was able to visonize your story.

My school did something like this when I was in elementary and even though it was for a good cause, my classmates thought otherwise and have seen this as a competition because it was also for which class could eat first with the highest donation. My classmates missed the whole concept of donating to the foodbank movement and conversations consisted of “How much I spent” and “How much I am giving”, “ We are so going to win!” rather than “I hope they enjoy these hampers”. “I am thankful for not having to worry about no food to feed my family”, etc.

I appreciate your generosity that you and your friends did for the food hampers. The minimum contribution was one item and you and your friends went out of your way to fill those blank spots! There are families who cannot even go down aisles and pick whatever they want and checkout. You recognizing the privilege you have and using that privilege for a great cause is heartwarming !

Your contribution has made many families smile and thankful for your generosity.

See you in class! 🙂

Lovelee C