IT’S FAKE NEW!!

IT’S FAKE NEW!!

Created by Kelsey Deptuck

Fake news is all over the internet. It can be found on a website giving out the wrong information, it can be gossip that is getting spread around on different talking apps, it can be a photo that has be photoshop to look different, fake news is all over the internet in many different ways. Being able to show students how to notice fake news, can help them out when on the internet. In the video Helping students identify fake news with five C’s of critical consuming talked about five simple steps that can help students notice fake new.

• Step one is looking at the context, like where it is from, who wrote it, the event change since then and so on.
  • Step two is it credibility, look at the source and does the author cite their work.
  • Step three is construction, making sure you analyze the construction of the article, like are they using loaded words?
  • Step four is corroboration, being able to find the information on other credible news sources, as if you are able to find other information for a topic and its more likely to be true.
  • Step five is compare, being able to compare different information by getting the different side of sources point of view can help compare and get the bigger picture.

These simple five step can be taught in the classroom, to help recognize fake new when trying to look for information for schoolwork. This can be taught in grade 5 outcome CR5.4, as this outcome looks at reading and demonstrate comprehension of a range of different sources. So the students can learn these five steps and put them to the test when finding an website. Or the students can be given a fake website and they have to use these five steps to see if they can figure out if it’s real or fake.

I also looked at the different quiz you can do to help learn about spotting fake news. The first one I did was Can you spot the fake news headline?    I took the quiz to see how good i was at spotting fake news and i did not do good. I only got 1 right out of 6. It’s actually harder than I thought, as most of the headlines did seem like they would be true. This just show how easy it can be to come across fake new headlines and check them out, and even maybe believing them. These are just some of the headlines that were asked. I think it is important for the teach and for the students to learn about fake news and how offten it can be found online.