Learning from Tik Tok

Learning from Tik Tok

Today in my learning project, i’m going to see if I can learn new skills about cake decorating on the popular app Tik Tok. I use the Tik Tok to watch videos everyday, but I have not tried to see if I could learn skills from it.

TikTok - Make Your Day
Screen Shot By Kelsey Deptuck

The first thing I did was search up “Cake decorating for beginners”  there was a bunch of different videos that came up. So I started to watch a bunch of them, as each video was different from each other.

The first video I watched was called Cake Decorating Tutorials for Beginnersthis TikTok only was about her blog. Which i did take a look at after watching different TikToks on cake decorating. I will be using her blog later on in my learning project.

The second video i watched was Everything you need to decorate a cakeThis Tik Tok showed me all the tools I would need to start decorate cakes. I wished I had watch a video like this before i started decorating any cakes. As it showed how much tools you really need to help you decorate cakes the easiest.

The third video i watch was Cake Basic Pt.3 which was about crumb coats. This is an important part of decorating cakes, that i’m still trying to master. I can never seem to cover the whole cake nicely with frosting to have a nice crumb coat. But maybe making the frosting from scratch and having it fluffy might help make crumb coating a little be easier to do.

The last TikTok I watch was Simple Christmas Cake Idea, that i’m going  to try and recreate for my next learning project. Im going to follow the tips i learned from the other 3 videos i watched. To see if I can decorate a cake that looks similar to this.https://www.tiktok.com/@stephcarr.5/video/7162899318293236997?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&q=cake%20decorating%20beginners&t=1669707967334